Chuck roast safety question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbf610

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 23, 2016
Near Allentown, PA
I'm trying to do chuck roast burnt ends. I can't get this meat to get to 140IT. It was in the smoker for about 4.5 hours, and only got to 134. It was at 134 for approximately 2 hours. In effort to get the temps up, I panned it and wrapped, and put it in a 275 deg oven. Been in the oven for .5 hours and it's up to 137.

Question is, is this meat still good to eat? I making it for a party and want to be sure. I remember seeing a chart somewhere with a time and temp with regards to being safe.

I've never had this much trouble.

Thanks for any replies.

Once that roast.. is softened up you should be able to cut thick slices to chop into cubes.. put those on the smoker in a pan a couple hours with some bbq sauce for burnt ends.. some simple rub recipe sprinkled on too.. sugars in the bbq sauce and some rub sugar ingredients should get darkened a bit as you cook the burnt ends a couple hours.. if not.. use a frying pan and do it a few minutes stirring on a burner to finish them.. [emoji]128526[/emoji] smoke added to burnt ends is a nice touch.. little more wood taste.. but not always necessary

Last edited:
I'm gonna do a chuck burnt ends tomorrow now.. you made me jealous.. lol probably normal chuck roast 4 lbs takes 6 hours or 7 then burnt ends another couple hours.. [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Last edited:
Thermometer is accurate within 1-2 degrees. I have a wireless probe and a pen, they read the same thing. I normally check them once a month.

That is my plan, take it to 190, rest, put in fridge. then chop and sauce, and back in smoker tomorrow to finish.

Just a note: Getting over 140 in 4 hours ONLY applies to Ground Meat, Boned, Rolled and Tied Roasts, Roast with items like garlic punched into the meat and Injected Meats. An intact Chuck, Roast, Brisket, Butt, Ham,Etc. can be smoked at 225+ and the IT can stay at 125°F till Tomorrow without a Safety issue. There is no bacteria IN meat only ON meat until you make holes or grind it...JJ

Reactions: billfog
Just a note: Getting over 140 in 4 hours ONLY applies to Ground Meat, Boned, Rolled and Tied Roasts, Roast with items like garlic punched into the meat and Injected Meats. An intact Chuck, Roast, Brisket, Butt, Ham,Etc. can be smoked at 225+ and the IT can stay at 125°F till Tomorrow without a Safety issue. There is no bacteria IN meat only ON meat until you make holes or grind it...JJ

Thanks! I ate them already, nice to know I'll be ok!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky