• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brown Bag Brisket

wazzuqer

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 11, 2012
Don’t have any butcher paper, was wondering if anybody had tried a brown grocery bag to wrap there brisket in when it get to 165 degrees? Or Parchment paper I have that too? I have foil but wanted to try something different, thanks...

old sarge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 26, 2012
I would go with the parchment paper.

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Don’t have any butcher paper, was wondering if anybody had tried a brown grocery bag to wrap there brisket in when it get to 165 degrees? Or Parchment paper I have that too? I have foil but wanted to try something different, thanks...
I would say roll without wrapping at all. If you have never done this then it is definitely worth a try. It's how I do all my briskets these days :)

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
No waxed paper! Roll on with the brown bag. Same as brown butcher paper. Just never use paper with wax on one side. Straight brown paper.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
I'd pass on both options. Parchment is waxed. A brown paper bag probably isn't unsafe but it's never gonna hold up to all that brisket juice saturating it. Ever seen a paper sack get wet and everything fall through the bottom? You'll end up with a mess on your hands for sure

Chasdev

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Parchment is treated with food grade silicone and is perfectly safe to use.
Brown bags are treated with chems that are not intended to be consumed by hairless apes.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
I agree parchment is safe to use...... however it will defeat the purpose of wrapping in paper altogether. We wrap with pink paper because it allows the meat to breathe and doesn't let steam build inside. Parchment paper since waxed will ultimately act like foil and keep everything trapped inside

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Chas and Jake are both right. Parchment is treated with Silicone, not Wax. And is non-porous and will hold in Steam as effectively as Foil. The Brown Grocery Bag? In the 60's Dad and everybody, used them to wick grease from deep fried food and steam heat leftover rolls and bread in the Oven...BUT...I would not Trust that modern Paper Grocery Bags are Food Safe. If you want Bark, smoke Naked the whole way...JJ

wazzuqer

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for all the ideas , I think all go naked with it, and only use foil if it gets behind...Thanks....

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.