Beef Chuck mock tender roast??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
The wife picked a couple of these up the other day because they were on sale. Never heard of a beef chuck mock tender roast. No bone and it is tied. My question is can you use this for shredded beef like you would with a regular chuckie? Or is it only good for slicing?? The fact that it's tied makes me think it's more along the lines of a round steak.
icon_question.gif

3, morning.... I think that is a specific muscle in the front shoulder area that is almost as tender as a tenderloin and has better flavor... I would try a slice on the grill seared to med-rare for a test.... Your fav steak seasonings on it.... There is another name, I think it is "FlatIron" steak... not sure.... Dave 

Thanks for the response Dave! So would it be safe to say this will not pull like a chuckie/ Strictly for slicing? Dosen't seem to be much marbling looks to be quite lean. I doubt it would do well a long time in the smoker say a regular chuckie would.

A flatiron roast is good when thin sliced cross grain and stir fried.

http://www.txbeef.org/cooking_school/beef_chuck_mock_tender_roast_and_steak
Thanks for the link! Guess that answers my question. It won't pull. I have one thawing out now for the smoker tomorrow. Think I will smoke to 125 or so then pan it and foil it with some beef stock and mushrooms maybe. Take it to 155 or 160 and see what happens.

I will throw on some St. Louie spares with it just in case things go bad
439.gif

We used to buy mock tenders at the commissary. Cooked them in a crock pot for six hours with whatever we had in the fridge. The fell apart as if you pulled them. Tastes like chuck

We used to buy mock tenders at the commissary. Cooked them in a crock pot for six hours with whatever we had in the fridge. The fell apart as if you pulled them. Tastes like chuck
yeahthat.gif
 I used to do the same (before I became a smoker), I liked them better than regular chuck because they have less fat. Makes Great shredded beef!

So they will pull??
icon_confused.gif
 Guess I will find out tomorrow!!
I know they will in a crock pot. I'm thinking you will have to go higher then 160* though, probably up to 190*-200*. I smoked some chuckies once and only took them to 160* and they didn't shred very well, I did pull them apart and the flavor was great but I think a higher temp would have made them more tender. Just like a brisket is good for slicing at 190* but will fall apart at 200*.

If this cut is what I think it is, it would be excellent cut as steaks. When I cut meat, this "cut" came from the chuck. We are talking boxed or primal beef here now. First two 1.5 slices  from this was the same as a rib eye.

BillMc

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky