BDSkelly ~ Breakfast Sausage Grind.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Its just a good looking knife. I am laughing at your hand now.

Once upon a time, I had a roommate, beautiful and smart lady but could sometimes be very "independently willed". I learned instead of saying anything which was always wrong at any point, I would just go to the kitchen and grab the knives and sharpen 'em. Sharpening knives is like polishing boots sort of therapeutic. Years later my Sister told me she could always tell when Lynn pitched a bitch cause she had band-aids on all her fingers for a week. I never even noticed.....ROFLMAO.

Reactions: bdskelly
Its just a good looking knife. I am laughing at your hand now.

Once upon a time, I had a roommate, beautiful and smart lady but could sometimes be very "independently willed". I learned instead of saying anything which was always wrong at any point, I would just go to the kitchen and grab the knives and sharpen 'em. Sharpening knives is like polishing boots sort of therapeutic. Years later my Sister told me she could always tell when Lynn pitched a bitch cause she had band-aids on all her fingers for a week. I never even noticed.....ROFLMAO.
A roommate. Is that what they called them back then? ;)
I know you. ...You old peddler. My bet is you had a number of those roommates.
By the way... those red pepper flakes came from your backyard. B

Last edited:
8 pounds vac packed . ...Well Mrs BD insisted we have eggs and sausage for dinner tonight. So.... a few patties shy of 8 pounds! (chuckles)
If you are not grinding your own you are missing out. The texture alone will win you over.
3DC92016-53FC-482C-8B6C-F975CA34A782.jpeg

BDS, Good looking sausage,I can almost smell it frying up from here.I'm laughing as I did the same sausage on Sat with a cookie cutter for a huge Mom's day breakfast. Great minds think alike ! :)

YES,YES, YES...

My Bride landed herself a KitchenAid P600 mixer for mothers day. The meat grinder attachment was the first thing she wanted to order!

I can see this recipe in our future.

Great write up B! Like!

Pat

just my 2 cents here, save your $40 or $50 that you were going to spend on the grinder attachment and use it to buy a decent smaller grinder. I went against many who told me not to waste my money and listened to the few who said it would be fine, I did one batch ( with all the tricks) and decided to turn around and buy a real grinder. We decided to go all in and bought a 1hp commercial grinder from cabelas, but for small batches I think those LEM models that sell for around $100 or so get great reviews. I dont think you will regret upscaling for this purchase.

about 2 years after I bought the real grinder i wondered if I had been to hasty so I dug the other one back our and tried to grind a few pounds for some quick bfast sausage... I pushed it through, but it was the last time I will struggle with that thing for meat again. I kept it in case I came across something in the future that is less of a challenge, but most likely it will get thrown out in the future.

Just ask me how I know!

grinder.jpg

Great looking meat patties there Brian! Ive got a couple in my lunch box for today as a matter of fact. I might have to dig in early now after seeing yours.

Once we started grinding our own breakfast sausage Mrs. BD would have nothing more to do with that mushy store bought in the plastic chub sauasage.
In my opinion this is one of the easiest things you can do with one of the best returns on quality of your morning vittles!
I start off making fresh not bought seasoning. I use a derivative of my good friend and local chum Pops recipe.
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup course black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sage
  • 3 TBLS red pepper Flakes
Use one tablespoon per pound of pork with this season mix. Easy right?
View attachment 363773

I’ve cubed up 7 pounds of pork butt along with 1 pound of “economy cuts” which is mostly fat. Total 8 pounds.
View attachment 363774

These chunks get seasoned with the mixture above and into the freezer for about an hour before we grind.
View attachment 363775

We take a handful of chunks out and toss then into the grinder to test the seasoning. This is the fun part....
View attachment 363776

Flavor was awesome. No adjustment needed So.... Let’s get to work!
View attachment 363777
View attachment 363778

I use a old cookie cutter of Mrs. BDs to make the patties . These go on a cookie sheet with a spritz of Pam and back into the freezer. Tomorrow we will portion them out and vac seal em.
View attachment 363781
Enjoy! B
Super sausage for sure! Store bought is off the list here too! I LIKE it a lot, Brian!

BDS, Good looking sausage,I can almost smell it frying up from here.I'm laughing as I did the same sausage on Sat with a cookie cutter for a huge Mom's day breakfast. Great minds think alike ! :)
Thank you my friend. ! B

Looks amazing!

Can't wait until I get to try my own sausage...but first I'm going to need a grinder.
Thank you for the kind words young lady. Pleanty of recipes on this site to use when you take the plunge and buy that grinder and stuffer! B

I made sausage yesterday to stuff that pork chop, glad ya made me think of it. You are just inspirational. No wonder you make all those big bucks.
And you forgot handsome as well! *snort! Thanks Kev. Did you post those chops? B

If anyone wants to try something different with their breakfast sausage, try putting some high temp cheese in the mix. I had some leftover pepper jack, and used it to make a batch of breakfast sausage. After giving some out to family/friends - I'm almost certain I will never make it without cheese.

Reactions: Trigger01
Once we started grinding our own breakfast sausage Mrs. BD would have nothing more to do with that mushy store bought in the plastic chub sauasage.
In my opinion this is one of the easiest things you can do with one of the best returns on quality of your morning vittles!
I start off making fresh not bought seasoning. I use a derivative of my good friend and local chum Pops recipe.
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup course black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sage
  • 3 TBLS red pepper Flakes
Use one tablespoon per pound of pork with this season mix. Easy right?
View attachment 363773

I’ve cubed up 7 pounds of pork butt along with 1 pound of “economy cuts” which is mostly fat. Total 8 pounds.
View attachment 363774

These chunks get seasoned with the mixture above and into the freezer for about an hour before we grind.
View attachment 363775

We take a handful of chunks out and toss then into the grinder to test the seasoning. This is the fun part....
View attachment 363776

Flavor was awesome. No adjustment needed So.... Let’s get to work!
View attachment 363777
View attachment 363778

I use a old cookie cutter of Mrs. BDs to make the patties . These go on a cookie sheet with a spritz of Pam and back into the freezer. Tomorrow we will portion them out and vac seal em.
View attachment 363781
Enjoy! B

Hey bdskelly! I just got my butchered fresh hog back and have a bunch of ground pork left from the trimmings. Got up early today and followed the recipe for the sausage. This is awesome stuff, way better then most of the store bought seasonings!

Hey bdskelly! I just got my butchered fresh hog back and have a bunch of ground pork left from the trimmings. Got up early today and followed the recipe for the sausage. This is awesome stuff, way better then most of the store bought seasonings!
You will never go back to that stuff in the plastic tube! Enjoy!

Nice find. I will try this. Like the red pepper addition. Pop's is good old school country sausage and great starting point. No disrespect to Pops or anything but we prefer a regional sausage by name of Bob Evans.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky