1st Lockhart-style sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just finished my first batch, and it may be my best sausage yet. Perfect snap, nice and juicy, with that lingering back of the tongue black pepper heat with a hint of cayenne.

I used this recipe:
3 lbs store-ground chuck
1 lb store-ground pork
4 Tbsp kosher salt
4 Tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp Cure #1 in 3/4 cup cold water
Slow smoked over charcoal & post oak chunks in my Bronco drum to 155˚ internal.

View attachment 694694View attachment 694695View attachment 694696
Those looks absolutely KILL'ER!!!

I gotta make these, I can eat them until I make myself sick.

broozer broozer
Question #1, What size casings did you use?
#2 And is there a preferred place to buy them?

Thanks a bunch.
Dan.

Reactions: broozer
Thanks Dan. I used the home pack 32-38mm hog casings from the Sausage Maker. They're also called 'shorts' because they're kinda of the leftovers from the premium full hanks, and they are inconsistent in length & diameter. As I make more progress on learning sausage making, I'll probably step up to full hanks.

20240420_075726.jpg

Reactions: forktender
As I make more progress on learning sausage making, I'll probably step up to full hanks.

Look through this thread and store your casings like this if you have the room .

The full hank is night and day difference in both quality and ease of stuffing....and most importantly, ease in loading onto the stuffer horn...
Those babies look Awesome. Great Job. Take indiaswamps (any many others on this site) advice and get the hank. I started with the same ones you did and the hank from my butcher is WAAAY better. Can't wait to see your next batch.

Thanks Dan. I used the home pack 32-38mm hog casings from the Sausage Maker. They're also called 'shorts' because they're kinda of the leftovers from the premium full hanks, and they are inconsistent in length & diameter. As I make more progress on learning sausage making, I'll probably step up to full hanks.

View attachment 694948
Right on, I booked marked your thread, thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky