Baby back ribs (help)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CharlotteLovesFood

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
England
I currently have half a rack of baby back ribs in the smoker with dry rub on and and a pan with Apple juice underneath. We are 1:30 hrs into the cook trying to keep it around 225-250.

I haven't lifted the hood at all yet...just wanted to check should I be spritzing or mopping yet?
I plan to pull around 160°F wrap and take up to 200°F?
Atm the IT is at 131°F am I going too fast? :oops:
I was kinda trying to follow SmokinAl SmokinAl post but can't for the life of me find it now?

Do I mop or spritz now or just add some rub etc to the foil when wrapping then pop back on for a bit?

I'm really confused guys...please help a girl out? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
Charlotte your fine. I'm not a spritzer or mopper, but you can do either at any point now if you want.
Also you'll want to take them out of the foil for the last hour or so to reset the bark and to set the sauce.

Here are a couple of Al's links:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works.240916/

And

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/naked-ribs-no-rub-no-sauce.263432/

Chris

Thanks Chris...no I'll leave it then, I trust ya ;):D

Thanks Chris!!
Al
and you Al ;):D
Looks like Chris got you covered! Post some pics of the finished product.

I will do Geebs... for better or worse! haha

No problem Al, I wasn't sure when you'd be back online, and you've made your threads very easy to find and follow.

Chris

Good luck Charlotte.

Charlotte I always use the 2-2-1 method for baby backs and it turns out perfect pretty much every time. I don't bother watching the IT of ribs at all. I smoke them around 230 for 2 hours, then wrap in foil with some brown sugar some pats of margarine on both sides of the ribs and put a small amount of apple juice in the foil. I wrap them tight and then put them meat side down on the rack. After 2 hours in the foil I unwrap them and then put them back on the grill bone side down again and baste with sauce once every 15 minutes. I probe with an instant read thermometer just for tenderness after 30 minutes of basting the glaze. As soon as the feel tender with the probe I pull and enjoy. Sometimes it takes the full hour sometimes not. I hope that you enjoy your ribs :)

George

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
Sorry guys...took a little longer than expected.
7 hours in total! Yikes!
I used different charcoal today...plus the wind was the wrong direction...haha I'll stop making excuses now :rolleyes::D

So I followed Al's method (other than my temp fluctuations, and I had apple juice in my foil when wrapping and I didn't sauce at the end either). I didn't sauce because of my choice of sides..
and hand on heart I don't think I needed to they were juicy and sticky enough with tons of flavour!! I know, I was shocked too! :D

I managed to get a couple of photos but it was dark by the time I had finished and my kitchen lights aren't the best :( plus I just wanted to eat :eek:haha.

Half a rack of ribs
20180522_105833.jpg
Didn't take a photo with the rub on...doh!
Wrapped at 160°F...
20180522_234008.png
Pulled off at 201°F IT...
20180522_234127.png 20180522_234457.png

They were finger licking good ribs, even without the sauce!
I served them with...Mustard mashed potato, leeks and a cheese sauce :p

20180522_234532.png

P.s I think 201°F was the perfect time for me to pull them off. They were almost dropping off the bone but not... I could sink my teeth into them and they were tender but not falling off the bone as I picked them up...they were just right! :p

Thanks for the help earlier guys and the tips and suggestions.
Charlotte :D

Last edited:
Half a rack? Not many there to help eat ribs up with you I suspect.

Looks and sounds like success! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Haha my butcher bullied me out of getting the whole rack for £15 he said people usually buy them individually (they were very meaty) so to have half instead. Had them for supper and having two was probably too much meat :rolleyes:

Thank you...
I mean I don't really have ribs (probably had them twice and they were the tiny supermarket ones that come with the sachet of sauce,usually a little tough) haha. So im not sure what they are supposed to look or taste like...but to my taste buds, these were some next level out of this world ribs hahaha I will be having them again! :p

They look yummy Charlotte! Great job! Doing baby backs this weekend and hope they come out as good as yours.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky