Baby back ribs (help)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am getting jealous of how much cookin you are able to do! I barely have time on the weekends!
Awwww sorry Geebs...i'm a lady of leisure at the moment making the most of it, but when I go back to work it will be quick smokes and weekends for me too :rolleyes::)

Awesome looking ribs Charlotte!
I have a rack in the smoker right now, cause we are supposed to get rain all weekend long, so I popped open a cold one & put a rack in the smoker. Right now the weather is beautiful!
They should be done early afternoon for a late lunch, early dinner!
Or just munching & drinking the afternoon away!
Al

Awesome looking ribs Charlotte!
I have a rack in the smoker right now, cause we are supposed to get rain all weekend long, so I popped open a cold one & put a rack in the smoker. Right now the weather is beautiful!
They should be done early afternoon for a late lunch, early dinner!
Or just munching & drinking the afternoon away!
Al
Thanks Al.
I don't blame you... sounds like a perfect afternoon plan and a morning well spent :D

If you aren't against such a thing, left over ribs are mighty tasty, too.
Just heat them up in the Microwave.
But some folks have a dislike for left over / reheated food. Me, not so much.

They sure gouge you for your meat there in Great Britain. :eek::mad:

If you aren't against such a thing, left over ribs are mighty tasty, too.
Just heat them up in the Microwave.
But some folks have a dislike for left over / reheated food. Me, not so much.

They sure gouge you for your meat there in Great Britain. :eek::mad:
I wouldn't mind giving that a try...if only the other half hadn't eaten all the rest :rolleyes:
I know I thought that...perhaps it's just my butcher. How much do you pay for a rack Sonny?

Around this much USD where I live.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pork-loin-backribs/prod3860002.ip
The price tends to bob around a bit. Up to $2.99 (£ 2.23) a pound, down to $2.40 (£ 1.79)

Ours come in a vacuum sealed plastic bag. Smithfield is the brand name, for this store.
3 racks to a bag, around $20-25/26 USD (Around 10 pounds of ribs.)
Or USD to Pounds= $25 = £18.68
It sounds equivalent, until you note I'm buying 3 full racks of Baby Back ribs.

I always cut my racks in half for easier handling. And I package them a rack (The two halves) to a vacuum sealed bag for our freezer.
That way I can pull a single rack, or more for a gathering.

As beautiful as your presentations are, I could easily see you as a chef, or restaurant owner. You and your Lovey running Charlotte's Great Britain Brews and Bar-B-Ques
Ribs, Roasts, Fish & Chips, and a Pint of Boddington's, Guinness, Ambers, or Fosters.

You'd be packing them in Kid!

Like The Rose and Crown restaurant here.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
Sorry guys...took a little longer than expected.
7 hours in total! Yikes!
I used different charcoal today...plus the wind was the wrong direction...haha I'll stop making excuses now :rolleyes::D

So I followed Al's method (other than my temp fluctuations, and I had apple juice in my foil when wrapping and I didn't sauce at the end either). I didn't sauce because of my choice of sides..
and hand on heart I don't think I needed to they were juicy and sticky enough with tons of flavour!! I know, I was shocked too! :D

I managed to get a couple of photos but it was dark by the time I had finished and my kitchen lights aren't the best :( plus I just wanted to eat :eek:haha.

Half a rack of ribs
View attachment 364824
Didn't take a photo with the rub on...doh!
Wrapped at 160°F...
View attachment 364829
Pulled off at 201°F IT...
View attachment 364830 View attachment 364828

They were finger licking good ribs, even without the sauce!
I served them with...Mustard mashed potato, leeks and a cheese sauce :p

View attachment 364827

P.s I think 201°F was the perfect time for me to pull them off. They were almost dropping off the bone but not... I could sink my teeth into them and they were tender but not falling off the bone as I picked them up...they were just right! :p

Thanks for the help earlier guys and the tips and suggestions.
Charlotte :D

Great work! I go unwrapped and let them just ride as well and they come out amazing!
Hahahah you took it to 201F (98.8C :P ), I also ride that 200-201 line with my ribs. What you described in the rib texture is exactly what I look for. It's like the best of both worlds of bite off and fall off. The magic in between spot!
I have found that 203F is ragged edge of entering fall off the bone texture. I'm glad you found the 201F sweet spot :)

Haha my butcher bullied me out of getting the whole rack for £15 he said people usually buy them individually (they were very meaty) so to have half instead. Had them for supper and having two was probably too much meat :rolleyes:

Thank you...
I mean I don't really have ribs (probably had them twice and they were the tiny supermarket ones that come with the sachet of sauce,usually a little tough) haha. So im not sure what they are supposed to look or taste like...but to my taste buds, these were some next level out of this world ribs hahaha I will be having them again! :p

I can only imagine what kind of ribs you have encountered. I didn't see any smoked bbq when I spent time in London and I had English friends asking me about BBQ and Ribs and lots of meat dishes. One of them came to the states and was amazed at all of the meat that get's put on an Arby's sandwich (Arby's is fast food) hahaha.

You have made a great discovery with your smoked ribs and just wait until you share them with others!
Just wait until you discovered other magical smoked dishes you may have never imagined like smoked Meatloaf. This cooking journey is so fun and exciting isn't it!

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
Around this much USD where I live.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pork-loin-backribs/prod3860002.ip
The price tends to bob around a bit. Up to $2.99 (£ 2.23) a pound, down to $2.40 (£ 1.79)

Ours come in a vacuum sealed plastic bag. Smithfield is the brand name, for this store.
3 racks to a bag, around $20-25/26 USD (Around 10 pounds of ribs.)
Or USD to Pounds= $25 = £18.68
It sounds equivalent, until you note I'm buying 3 full racks of Baby Back ribs.

I always cut my racks in half for easier handling. And I package them a rack (The two halves) to a vacuum sealed bag for our freezer.
That way I can pull a single rack, or more for a gathering.

As beautiful as your presentations are, I could easily see you as a chef, or restaurant owner. You and your Lovey running Charlotte's Great Britain Brews and Bar-B-Ques
Ribs, Roasts, Fish & Chips, and a Pint of Boddington's, Guinness, Ambers, or Fosters.

You'd be packing them in Kid!

Like The Rose and Crown restaurant here.
Yikes! That's a huge difference in price!
I know my local butcher does like to charge over the odds...perhaps I need to stop around a little.

Haha I don't know about that :oops: haha but I love your rhyming scheme! :D
That's a lovely little pub! We have lots of roses and crowns here...saying that since the smoking ban came into force some years back now, a lot of our little pubs have closed down. Still a few where I live though including a 'The Woodman' haha

What you described in the rib texture is exactly what I look for. It's like the best of both worlds of bite off and fall off. The magic in between spot!
Thanks tallbm, your praise means a lot!
Yeah I think that was perfect texture for me I will continue to use that temp now...can't beat the best of both worlds :D

I can only imagine what kind of ribs you have encountered. I didn't see any smoked bbq when I spent time in London and I had English friends asking me about BBQ and Ribs and lots of meat dishes. One of them came to the states and was amazed at all of the meat that get's put on an Arby's sandwich (Arby's is fast food) hahaha.

Yeah as far as I know not much smoked food around here. Except there is one smokehouses to my knowledge I keep meaning to get my ads down there to check it out for authenticity haha hers is the link... http://hickorys.co.uk/venue/wall-heath/

Meatloaf haha it's on my to-do list! I'll pop up for help when I'm ready to try it. It is really fun...its becoming second nature to me and tgis place is becoming my second home :D hahaha

Thanks again tallbm!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky