Are you smoking for Thanksgiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The corn is frozen sauteed in butter until starting to turn golden and a bit shriveled. Add salt, pepper and a bit of sugar near the end. The frying removes some water and really concentrates the corn flavor and sweetness...JJ
We do the same but I fry up some chopped bacon then fry the corn in the bacon grease.

Here is the recipe for the Sweet Potato casserole. The corn is frozen sauteed in butter until starting to turn golden and a bit shriveled. Add salt, pepper and a bit of sugar near the end. The frying removes some water and really concentrates the corn flavor and sweetness...JJ

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble
Thanks for sharing Jim. Its hectic around here this morning but I think I've got time to toss this one together today and give it a try. 

*****This recipe has now been stolen. 

Thanks again my friend. 

b

No smoke here! We're having onl six ppl and mom didn't care to bother with a turkey unless we insisted so it's fried cracker crumb chicken.

We had our kids and their husbands over for an early Thanksgiving on Saturday, 11/12/16.  Full blown Thanksgiving menu with a smoked turkey and all the sides. 

Menu:

Spring mix salad with cranberries, sliced persimmons, pomegranate seeds, slivered almonds, and a peach vinaigrette dressing.

Smoked Turkey covered with melted butter then seasoned with Litehouse Poultry Seasoning with Freeze Dried Herbs

Smoked russet quarters, sweet onions, garlic cloves, and bulk carrots with Litehouse Poultry Seasoning, butter, and a bottle of chardonnay wine.

Mashed russets potatoes.

Trader Joe's cranberry orange sauce.

Jellied and whole cranberry sauce (can you tell folks around here are picky about their cranberry sauces).

Sage seasoned, oven baked, cornbread dressing.

Turkey gravy made from the drippings in the veggies.

Hawaiian Rolls and butter.

Iced Tea (Black tea with bergamot)

Homemade Merlot Wine 2011 (from the family of one of my daughter's in-laws)

Homemade pumpkin pie and heavy whipping cream, sugar, and homemade Mexican vanilla extract.

Made a ginormous pot of turkey vegetable soup afterward just for my wife and I.  Froze half of it but we've both been so busy its about all we've eaten for lunch and dinner since Tuesday the 15th.  It is all gone now, including what we froze. 

We both decided we didn't want another turkey (I have three more in the freezer) but we want poultry for tomorrow.  I've got two 5.5 lb chickens brining as I type.  They'll get smoked on Thanksgiving.  I'm leaving the rest of the menu up to her.  I do know she's baking a cherry pie.  Chicken, salad, rolls, and pie.  Simple, but works for me! 
Awesome meal!
So this be my first, I have 2 12 lb turkeys, doing them on my Green Mountain Pellets Grill. I just started brining my turkey, going to do for 18 hours. Then I noticed that it had 8% Butterball moisture solution.
Should I not brine it? I saw on this forum that it's not needed?
And at 300° how long would it take me I see 3.5 to 4 hours?
Thanks
That bird you have has been brined in the bag.  I doubt it would absorb more. 

Reactions: roddie
Turkey smoking away, The Missus getting the other stuff ready, Kids and Grand-kids 

Happy Thanksgiving    TO ALL ------------------

Gary

Going over to the mother-in-law's today as usual. She roasts a turkey, but some of the rest of the wife's family enjoy when I bring smoked meats. So I have a 9 lb. turkey breast in the MES30 right now. Brined last night in an orange juice solution, and smoking with orange pellets in my AMNPS mailbox mod.

I'm considering slicing and bringing over some pepperoni and capicola that I have made, but my clueless, dip son-in-law will be there and he has a bad habit of scooping up nearly everything on the plate for himself. 
hit.gif

Last edited:
Not smoking a thing. The Mrs gets such a kick out of it I wouldn't have the heart to suggest anything else (besides, it's nasty outside).
It's just the two of us, so turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls and pumpkin pie is more than enough.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, Bon Appetit and while you're giving thanks don't forget to send a prayer for those less fortunate!

Dan [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Turkey smoking away, The Missus getting the other stuff ready, Kids and Grand-kids 

Happy Thanksgiving    TO ALL ------------------

Gary
Sounds awesome Gary. Id drive by for a slice but have a house full of folks I need to feed!  Happy Thanksgiving buddy. 

Going over to the mother-in-law's today as usual. She roasts a turkey, but some of the rest of the wife's family enjoy when I bring smoked meats. So I have a 9 lb. turkey breast in the MES30 right now. Brined last night in an orange juice solution, and smoking with orange pellets in my AMNPS mailbox mod.

I'm considering slicing and bringing over some pepperoni and capicola that I have made, but my clueless, dip son-in-law will be there and he has a bad habit of scooping up nearly everything on the plate for himself. 
hit.gif

LOL.... It's the dips that make the holidays meals special Neely! 
Not smoking a thing. The Mrs gets such a kick out of it I wouldn't have the heart to suggest anything else (besides, it's nasty outside).
It's just the two of us, so turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls and pumpkin pie is more than enough.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, Bon Appetit and while you're giving thanks don't forget to send a prayer for those less fortunate!

Dan [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Thanks Dan.  

14 hours into the smoke and the Wild Piggy is at 190.  Thought I take a peek...  It's coming along nicely if I do say so myself! Should be a great compliment to Teri's Turkey. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky