What are you reading ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I just started this 750 pg behemoth. It will take a while to get through it.

Its by Max Hastings, a Brit historian, who as a young man reported from Vietnam for the BBC. I thought a view of the war from a non American source might be interesting.

I turned draft age in the latter stage of the war, 1970. My views on the war were mostly shaped by my dad. By that time, most had concluded it was a mistake and the focus was on making some kind of exit that salvaged some degree of victory.

20240208_185843.jpg

Since I have been shooting C & B revolvers more lately, I am contemplating casting my own round balls and conical bullets. This book and the internet has been a really good source for learning metallurgy.

1000000773.jpg

Re-reading this one as its been a little while and things have taken a downward turn.If you don't learn from past mistakes you're condemned to repeat them.

Attachments

• striper_jacket.jpg
    striper_jacket.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 10
If anyone reads non fiction survival stories. I could use some recommendations. Ive read many and Im running out of good ones. I think I have read every mountaineering one printed so not those.

Started a Patrick Taylor book - not interesting at all unless you have never been hiking, camping, etc.

Reactions: Colin1230
“Wintersmith” by Terry Pratchett. I’ve got his whole works on kindle. Great thing about CRS, I can reread the series and it’s always funny 😄.

“Wintersmith” by Terry Pratchett. I’ve got his whole works on kindle. Great thing about CRS, I can reread the series and it’s always funny 😄.
Don’t you love your Kindle? Man I sure do. My vision has gone to shit, paper books are a challenge at best. But adjusting the Kindle to the size and color needed = GOLD

Currently reading/studying this one…..
71976702991__07D60A27-A96C-40C5-9035-016DF92E12C1.jpeg

Lots of focus on the molecular make up of sharp edge cooking tools!!!!

Oh and just getting ready to start this one…
IMG_7007.jpeg

Reactions: Colin1230
Don't always read alot but occasionally read Louis L'Amour books. Don't have his whole collection but working on it.

Ryan
When I was a kid I read almost everything he wrote. Between my great-grandmother, my grandfather, and the library I think I got them all. I've been thinking about trying to find the Sackett novels and going through them just one more time. To The Far Blue Mountains was one of my favorites.

I collect Stephen King 1st editions and I stop at every Goodwill I see because about 2x a year I'll find one in a GW. I rarely see a L'Amour book, never a Sackett.
He's in my top 10, maybe my top 5. RIP Sir Terry. I also buy any Pratchett I see in GW stores, which are also VERY few and far between.

Currently waiting on the next Robert Bevan book. If you've ever played D&D and/or enjoy crude but exceedingly well-written and witty potty humor, he's a goldmine. All free with Kindle Unlimited.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
When I was a kid I read almost everything he wrote. Between my great-grandmother, my grandfather, and the library I think I got them all. I've been thinking about trying to find the Sackett novels and going through them just one more time. To The Far Blue Mountains was one of my favorites.

I collect Stephen King 1st editions and I stop at every Goodwill I see because about 2x a year I'll find one in a GW. I rarely see a L'Amour book, never a Sackett.

He's in my top 10, maybe my top 5. RIP Sir Terry. I also buy any Pratchett I see in GW stores, which are also VERY few and far between.

Currently waiting on the next Robert Bevan book. If you've ever played D&D and/or enjoy crude but exceedingly well-written and witty potty humor, he's a goldmine. All free with Kindle Unlimited.
What Sackett books do you have, or need? I have doubles of some... not sure which ones as I'm not home.

Ryan

I just started this 750 pg behemoth. It will take a while to get through it.

Its by Max Hastings, a Brit historian, who as a young man reported from Vietnam for the BBC. I thought a view of the war from a non American source might be interesting.

I turned draft age in the latter stage of the war, 1970. My views on the war were mostly shaped by my dad. By that time, most had concluded it was a mistake and the focus was on making some kind of exit that salvaged some degree of victory.

View attachment 688356

Just reading for about 15 to 20 minutes per day, I've finally made it 250 pages, a third of the way through this story.

The author, being a Brit, its critical of all sides, American, South Vietnamese, and the communists in north Vietnam. He spreads fault equally. But he's a little too proud that the British had no part in the war and warned us about what we were getting into. As did almost all of our Allies, cept for Australia.

I've just hit the summer of 1965, when LBJ has made the decision to escalate the war with 150,000 more troops. From the 40,000 someodd already in country.

Cant believe I missed this one on the first go around.....I read nearly anything mostly fiction. From westerns (love LL and the Sackett stories) to Clive Cussler to Stephen king to science fiction to apocalypse fiction. I've got nearly 2000 books in my kindle app. Like sandyut sandyut I love my kindle for the same reasons. And when my carpal tunnel got real bad I couldnt hold a book.

Jim

Cant believe I missed this one on the first go around.....I read nearly anything mostly fiction. From westerns (love LL and the Sackett stories) to Clive Cussler to Stephen king to science fiction to apocalypse fiction. I've got nearly 2000 books in my kindle app. Like sandyut sandyut I love my kindle for the same reasons. And when my carpal tunnel got real bad I couldnt hold a book.

Jim
I fought off buying the kindle, now I dont think I could read without it!

If anyone reads non fiction survival stories. I could use some recommendations. Ive read many and Im running out of good ones. I think I have read every mountaineering one printed so not those.
Here are a couple that I am comfortable in suggesting. Also, no picture, Ernest Shackleton / Endurance.

DSC02268.JPG

Reactions: sandyut
I’m going back through my collection of Patrick McMannis. So dang funny. Also revisiting Don Quixote. Super funny.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky