Timing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinwi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 8, 2014
Stevens Point, WI
I've cooked many butts, brisket, ribs and chicken.....mostly for myself and some events....the events were chicken and pork chops where we ate right after pulling off the pit...
but I've never really had anyone order butt or brisket for their event, so I'm pretty curious about timing.... A brisket can take 15 hours...at butt 8-10hrs....so do you cook the day before and get it to them cold when their event isn't until afternoon? I mean you can let a butt or brisket rest for up to 6 hours in a cooler.....but pulling a brisket off a smoker at 1am and eating at 1pm ...that's a long time inbetween. Do people just tell them to reheat it or??

Reactions: JLinza
My brother in law and myself cooked for a wedding a while back I cooked 8 shoulders and he did the briskets we cooked at home, then were at a place were they had commercial ovens that we set real low just to keep warm and then kept basting and spritzing to keep from drying out before each tray went out. Not sure if you have anything like that to help. If not you may be able to keep warm at home just before delivery. Good luck

Reactions: kevinwi
To me the only way to do this is like I have done in the past. Smoke it early, Yes you can keep it warm for quite a while, but for events I have done, or smoke it up, put in crock pots and set in the frig, Transport, then plug them in 3 hours before serving time adding chicken broth for chicken or pork, beef broth for brisket. I do my own crock pots, presuming their oven my be busy. Any way of heating them will work.

Reactions: kevinwi and JLinza
My way is to put them (butts & briskets) on 14 hours before they will be served.
Gives me a finish time in the neighborhood of 2 hours prior to eating.
FTC until the meal.

My way is to put them (butts & briskets) on 14 hours before they will be served.
Gives me a finish time in the neighborhood of 2 hours prior to eating.
FTC until the meal.
Makes for a long day if you work your 8 hour job on Friday and the meal is Saturday Afternoon.

For both my kids weddings I cooked the brisket beforehand and reheated it in a pot of simmering water.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky