1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
HELP 🤯

1 money at 190. Do I rest and then slice and glaze ?
Still have 3 hrs for turn in

Keith
Sounds like your timeline is early.., try putting it in some of your foil juice whole, with the cut edge down. This will preserve the color on the remainder. Don't slice until 15 minutes before boxing, and if it's too tender to slice, you can use it for pulled or small cubes.

The time stamp I see on my posts must be goofed up.... right now it's 0932 hrs Mountain time for me. I see a post stamped 0537 hrs where the brisket is in the hotbox. Then you said turn in was at 1445 hrs. Are you holding it for 9 hours?

Sounds like your timeline is early.., try putting it in some of your foil juice whole, with the cut edge down. This will preserve the color on the remainder. Don't slice until 15 minutes before boxing, and if it's too tender to slice, you can use it for pulled or small cubes.
Thanks !!
That's what we did. Wrapped with juice in the cooler.

Holding the brisket for 6 hrs. Finished early .....

Keith

Last edited:
Thanks !!
That's what we did. Wrapped with juice in the cooler.

Holding the brisket for 6 hrs. Finished early .....

Keith
Well, now you have plenty of time to concentrate on chicken and ribs to hit those times closer. The one hour gap in turn-in times is generous. The 30-minute ones can seem like 15 minutes sometimes.

Pork is a little more forgiving than brisket. Depending on how hot the wrapped meats were when going into the cooler, you might find it necessary to vent the cooler by cracking the lid a couple of times during the hot hold time. You don't want excess condensation, or worse... having the meats cook further.

Well, now you have plenty of time to concentrate on chicken and ribs to hit those times closer. The one hour gap in turn-in times is generous. The 30-minute ones can seem like 15 minutes sometimes.

Pork is a little more forgiving than brisket. Depending on how hot the wrapped meats were when going into the cooler, you might find it necessary to vent the cooler by cracking the lid a couple of times during the hot hold time. You don't want excess condensation, or worse... having the meats cook further.
Thanks for the info !
We did let is start to cool down before the rest to make sure the cooking process stopped.
Ribs tasted great but good have looked a little better.

Attachments

• 20220521_125028.jpg
    20220521_125028.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for the info !
We did let is start to cool down before the rest to make sure the cooking process stopped.
Ribs tasted great but good have looked a little better.
Well, you have the 'meaty bite' aspect covered 🍖. Even though I mentioned local judges can be a moving target... taste is very important to all judges. Tenderness is the wild card and views are subjective. Just for grins, ask some of the other cook teams what they shot for on rib tenderness.

Reactions: 912smoker
Heck yeah Keith that's impressive! Congrats to y'all........bring on the pics
Thanks Jake we had a great weekend and certainly didn't expect that !
We were very excited and I told that to even place against 23 experienced teams would be a victory 😃

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-205749_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-205749_Message+.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220521-205641_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-205641_Message+.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220521-205619_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-205619_Message+.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20220521-205749_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-205749_Message+.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 60
DANG!!! Great job Keith!!
Thanks Charlie and everything went pretty well on schedule....except for the storm Friday night and the brisket finishing way early.
The main category we planned on doing well was chicken and finished 3rd there but they only recognized the top 2🙁

Keith

Reactions: kilo charlie
YESSSSSS

Way to go team 912 smoker... We knew you could do it ...

GREAT JOB BY ALL ...
Thanks Keith but as you know it was truly a team effort.
The guys did a great job of keeping me on track with timing and cook schedule!
We finally sat down around 2 am and put it in writing 😂

Keith

At 190* your about 10* over temp. Get it off the heat let it cool down to around 165-170* and then wrap her up tight and hold it. When your ready to serve reheat on a lower temp pit and glaze. Then slice it.

Chris
Thanks Chris you and thirdeye thirdeye saved me on this ! I was in a panic as i have never separated like this before.
Let it cool down , wrapped tight in juices put in the cooler for hold.
Sliced in time for a quick glaze and it looked and tasked great !

Keith

Reactions: gmc2003 and bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky