1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks 3 and those looking amazing!
Probably don't have time to get those in but will definitely use them if there's a next time !
I'm using the cooks from Montana Outlaws as a guide and that also how they trim and cook the brisket

Keith
Those videos are pretty good. They compete in my area and seem to do very well.
Good luck! Take some photos of the turn-in boxes for us.
On the ribs I would consider giving them a single bone/double meat. I know there's a name for it I just can't think of it. You may loose half your ribs but the judges will like the extra meat and presentation.
Those would be hollywood, or proud cut ribs.

Good deal... things are on their way ...

Hey Keith.. let me ask about your EZ UPS ... We have the same one with the heavy duty octagon shaped legs (normally they are just square tubing) ... I am in need of one of the plastic pieces in the middle of the sides (connection joint)... I have searched for said pieces but am not coming up with that style EZ UP... Can you get a model number off of yours as I can't find anything on mine ...

Reactions: 912smoker
Trimming chicken in the rain. Had an
1 1/2 hr storm then a 2 reprive to smoke some fatties and crean cheese for the team and guys around us.
Now rain again. 🌧
Got the boys doing the trim and the old man is resting 😴.
Just wrapped the brisket and sorry no pics but had a great bark and color.
Paper wrap with tallow and Kosmos brisket mop. Rolling along at 225 .
Wish I had some SMF help but feeling the support 💪 !

Keith

Attachments

• 20220521_002524.jpg
    20220521_002524.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 28
Trimming chicken in the rain. Had an
1 1/2 hr storm then a 2 reprive to smoke some fatties and crean cheese for the team and guys around us.
Now rain again. 🌧
Got the boys doing the trim and the old man is resting 😴.
Just wrapped the brisket and sorry no pics but had a great bark and color.
Paper wrap with tallow and Kosmos brisket mop. Rolling along at 225 .
Wish I had some SMF help but feeling the support 💪 !

Keith
Lol rain sucks during a comp. Good luck bud

Reactions: 912smoker
Sounds like you have a handle on most of it except the brisket. I have only done a couple of comps and it has been about 10 years since the last one but this might help.

Keep some of the juice from the brisket warm and neatly brush some of it on the brisket along with a small sprinkle of whatever rub you are using as well just before you close up the box. Another team that had won a lot of awards gave our team that advice. Unfortunately it wasn't until after our last comp so I didn't get to try it out for results.
Thanks Brett it's easy for me to forget during the rush but I've reminded the boys and they have a better (younger)
memory than me !

Keith

Best of luck to you Keith, but most of all have fun with it and enjoy the family time. As for advice. I will only say that if they're looking for pulled pork, and you hand in sliced money muscle instead. That may work against you. Ok, two things. On the ribs I would consider giving them a single bone/double meat. I know there's a name for it I just can't think of it. You may loose half your ribs but the judges will like the extra meat and presentation.

Finger crossed for ya
Chris
Thanks Chris and we've been real close thanks to the rain ! Yes sir fun having them all here and spreading some smokin info !
I talked with a judge this week and ask her opinion for the box.
She suggested the sliced, if it was perfect, along with pulled or chopped.
And that's the rib cut I'm planning on.
Cooking 3 racks for 8 in the box.

Keith

The best advice I can give is... HAVE FUN and don't stress ... You know how to do it so just cook like you normally do and have fun doing it ...

Our county fair comp is the same as far as the turn in box goes... nothing but meat (and sauce) in the box... I won last years brisket comp using Jeff's rub... Although we did make up an injection concoction that included the blood from the vacuumed pack the meat was in ... The left over was used under the brisket for a drip pan... then I used it to put the slices in after slicing... this helps keeping the slices moist ...

Good Luck from another Keith ...
Thanks Keith and I'm trying to keep the stress in check. And the popular vote at the meeting was no garnish.

Keith

Brisket is taking a siesta in the cooler and pleased with the outcome. A little peppery but might try to tone it down with sauce.

Attachments

• 20220521_061956.jpg
    20220521_061956.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220521_062003.jpg
    20220521_062003.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 25
HELP 🤯

1 money at 190. Do I rest and then slice and glaze ?
Still have 3 hrs for turn in

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky