1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congratulations on your results and thanks for sharing this in detail. Really fun to read!
Thanks snad we were very fortunate that everything went our way for the most part. Little hiccups with the rain but everyone had to deal with it.
And no option but to share as most of my abilities (limited as they are) came from the fine folks and inspiration from right here at SMF 🤝

Keith

Reactions: snadamo
Very well done! That is incredible for a any group of cooks. Congrats.
Thank big guy ! Definitely an incredible AND unexpected weekend for us !!
Everything fell into place after a lot of planning and prep time.

Keith

I moved from scraping to filleting but a fur trapper I know made me a tool he called a 'fleshing spoon' which simply has a bevel ground into a normal spoon.
View attachment 632546

Unless the rules don't allow it... you can prep at home, then vacuum seal or zipper bag the meat. I trim, sort and vacuum seal thighs. Then all I need to do is brine or inject, season and cook.

View attachment 632547
I've cooked on drums for 10 or 12 years and love them. Not every team has one but very many have at least two.

For box ideas, check out the Judge My Box site. You can pick out a few photos you like. A pretty good cook told me one time he has used the same arrangement for chicken for 10 years. Sometimes he swaps out kale for parsley. For our most important cook, I sent photos to WalMart for large prints and I taped my chicken and brisket box photos on the wall of the trailer.

You mentioned comments and accolades..., no disrespect intended because y'all had that that covered hands down, all weekend long. But one of the Dizzy Pig guys had some good advice for me about comments. He reminded me that people in general are naturally polite so there might be a false positive in the mix. Feedback by family or friends like "too salty", "too spicy", and texture comments are more valuable than "it tastes great". I've done so many one-bite test cooks on chicken I've lost count.
View attachment 632548
View attachment 632549
Great tips on the spoon and box pics !
Definitely have to give those a try.
And no disrespect taken at all.
As you said, family and friends (not usually mine 🤪) can't or won't always give you an honest opinion.
I wanted to chat with the judges at the end but like Elvis they had already left the building 😆.
Thanks again for sharing your tips and advice !

Keith

So sorry I missed this until now! What a great time snd great work! I’m so happy for you and your team, it’s also awesome to read the progress with SMF family helping out. With the family time and your well deserved placement, this was a first comp that is hard to beat! Get some sleep! Thank you for an awesome thread!!!!
Thanks Jed we had a blast and I think everyone slept pretty solid last night!
I just finished up washing pans and knives and other assortments of utensils and turning down the covers again😁. My mother ask me today how it felt to win. My response.....
I didn't realize winning would make me feel this old 😅.
The the help from the brotherhood was like a life preserver for sure !
Found another pic or 2 and new we have find one halfway !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220522-223409_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-223409_Message+.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220522-223640_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-223640_Message+.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220522-223516_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-223516_Message+.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220522-223803_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-223803_Message+.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 24
Keith , Sorry not responding sooner. away from computer for the weekend setting up Mona's trailer at the campground.

Fantastic. Good for you and the family team.
You showed how to hold it together and pull off the BIG win.
That for me would be a very stressful time, good for you guys.

David

Reactions: 912smoker
Congrats on the victory! Everything looked amazing.
Much appreciated John !
Everything....except for the storm....ran pretty smooth and sure go in there with that high of expectations on our 1st event. My timing was way off on the brisket. My 4 hr planned hold tuned into a 6 hr hold and we thought it wasn't warm enough.
Screenshot_20220523-113155_Gallery.jpg

Keith

Well it's about time David :emoji_joy: but working for for the boss is a great excuss ! The kids deff held me together near the end.
We had some more good time and feel very blessed to have them wanting to spend time together !

Keith

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Well it's about time David :emoji_joy: but working for for the boss is a great excuss ! The kids deff held me together near the end.
We had some more good time and feel very blessed to have them wanting to spend time together !

Keith

Keith , this / you will be talked about here for quite awhile.
But memories and talked about with the family for ever.

David

Reactions: 912smoker
Keith, what an incredible accomplishment! I can't stop smiling for you and your team. Well done!
Much appreciated and we're still in shock and various stages of recovery 😆. Oh course they bounce back a whole lot quicker than pops!

Keith

Thanks Chris ! We got the score card last night and looks like 16 teams participated with 25 entries. Guess the weather kept some at home.
They were using the GA BBQ Association (GBA) rules.
We certainly didn't expect to hear our names called and feel very blessed and fortunate with the outcome.

Keith

Attachments

• 2022 SPOF BBQ cookoff final results-2.xlsx
    11.1 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky