Never dreamed I'd see the day I'd be priced out of fast food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dive Bar Casanova

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 3, 2021
I know it's lousy quality, but once a year I may find myself in the drive thru.
Rolled thru McDonalds Thursday. Big Mac, Med Frys, Med Coke: $17.98.
Blindsided me.

Same order at In n Out with a recent steep price hike about $8. Better quality and taste preference varies person to person of course. I can afford that.
Chic a Filet a salad and water $21.

I understand price varies around the USA but this is what I paid just outside Los Angeles.

We are officially priced out.

In California, they raised the minimum wage for fast food workers to a minimum of $20.00 hour as of April 1st. Plus they set up a Fast Food Council that will now regulate the industry and can pretty much increase the wages further at will. So there you go.

McDonalds has gotten to where its just food. Calories in. Just something to keep you going. As far as costs goes....It is just outrageous the prices now a days. I dont mind paying a little more if its good food...But $20 for a Big Mac meal is just crazy! I dont see how a family does it.

Jim

We stopped going to ff places because of the ridiculous price they charge in order to pay some pimply faced kid $15/hr to get the order all wrong.

Ribeye (don't get your boxers in a bunch, this is from the ugly end) burgers cost us about $3 each at home. They were made to order and tasted far better than a great restaurant burger. Just sayin'.

1000013647.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a kid McDonalds only hired High School Boys.
Hamburgers were fresh grilled, 4S buns baked that morning and tasted really good. Big Mac was a copy of the Bobs Big Boy and both were 50 cents.

Then they switched to hiring parents trying to raise a family on minimum wage.
Food shipped in pre-cooked, just heat and serve.

Raising kids I noticed McDonalds advertised on TV heavy, but never mentioned the food. It only mentioned the Playland and the free give - a - ways.
One year, 4 different toy Barbie Happy Meals and the kids knew that on the Indian reservations McDonalds the Barbies were American Indian.
Big deal to the girls to get ahold of those.

We stopped going to ff places because of the ridiculous price they charge in order to pay some pimply faced kid $15/hr to get the order all wrong.

Ribeye (don't get your boxers in a bunch, this is from the ugly end) burgers cost us about $3 each at home. They were made to order and tasted far better than a great restaurant burger. Just sayin'.

View attachment 691751
Agreed! I used to hit mcdonalds when traveling just as a quick something to eat. The cheese burger were cheap and easy to eat while driving. Now, nothing is "fast food" any more. I'd rather take a cooler with a bologna sammich in it.

Jim

My kids, of course loved McDonald's. But I have since convinced them that their ole Dad can make a better meal any day of the week. We rarely eat out at all. And the rise in cost certainly plays a role in that.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
i have co-workers that get fast food everyday for lunch. 50 dollars a week easy, for their lunches. It adds up, big time.

We rarely go out to eat. Only for special occasions
We have a Starbucks here and one of the employees told me, on the level, a family comes in every day and easily spends $1200 a month.

Once and a while I'd take our 9 YO daughter there. She'd get wired and yacky all day long. Mom put a stop to that.

I travel a lot for work, so most of my eating out is on the company dime, but I have noticed the crazy escalation in price and that informs me when it is on my dime.

Flipping burgers was never a job to raise a family on, it was always a great opportunity for a kid to gain experience and training for teamwork while making a few bucks.

Whenever I get into a discussion with an advocate of what has taken place, I suggest that $50 an hour is more than double what $20 is and a better “living wage”.

The conversation usually does not last much longer.

I use to go out for lunch every day. Then the lunch specials started going up and eventually just went away. The day I paid 12.76 for a two dog plate with fries and tea was the straw that broke a 40 year habit.
I now cook and make all my lunches for week on sunday. Not saving very much but I eat good! LoL

Just to add, most of the chain restaurants are just not worth eating at, both in price, quality of food, and service…speaking of not necessarily fast food Chili’s, Applebees, etc… Stopped at Famous Dave’s in Vegas.. not sure what the “Texas Brisket” was, but I would have preferred fried spam. I seek out Mom and pop restaurants… sometimes they don’t make the cut, but I travel to the same areas, so I have an idea where to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky