10th Annual South Florida Smoking Meat Gathering (THE BIG ONE!!) - November 13-14, 2020

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Gathering

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Checking in to see how everyone doing during these strange times. We are both doing well even though I manage to surgery for herniated disc. Doing great but walk with a limp now. Bored with staying in place especially since it’s hard to do a smoke for just two people. We are looking forward to all the turmoil being over and seeing everyone in November.
Everyone stay well and be safe.

Carol & John,

Glad to hear you all are doing well. Yes I am ready to get back to work. Not spending any money right now due to not knowing how long I will be out of work. Parks open mid July, but Catering is another story. Rumor has it maybe August. Not much smoking here either due to same thing only 2 people in the house. Freezer full of pulled pork. When the rain stops I need to figure out what the plan is with the smoker my gave me will be. Really want to set it up as mobile, but the mods I want to do will make it very heavy and hard to do so. Time will tell.

Stay safe everyone.

Alrighty then .. Both Charlotte and I are doing fine.. as others.. tired of staying (kindasorta) in place... Also not doing much smoking for the same reason as y'all...

I had a little accident with my truck a couple weeks ago (rearended an idiot stopped in the fast lane to make an illegal left turn) ... Insurance company said value of the truck wasn't worth fixing so they totaled it... Just went and picked up another one today ..

Other than that were all good ... Stay safe everybody... I'm ready for Nov. to be here as well ...

Hey Everyone! Sorry i haven't been on here a lot but as we all know...not a lot is going on!

Glad to hear everyone is healthy and OK! Sorry to hear about the Park closures Jeramy, hope they open back up soon! Keith sorry to hear about the accident! What truck did you replace it with?

I was logging on to gauge everyone's perspective of whats going on and how it may or may not affect our 10 year Gathering. I guess...what are people's thoughts? I still think we should aim to have it and see how the world is looking 1-2 months out. I know some state parks are opened back up, havent checked HH yet. Not sure what people's thoughts our with social distancing and all.

So basically just a feeler on who is still in for November? Should we change the date? etc....

We still plan on having the fall one in Pa unless the second wave hits like they say it will. What ever you all decide, make sure you all do whats needed to stay safe for you and your family.

I'll add my sentiment that if the park is open, we'll be there. Has been a long while since I've checked the site, but glad to hear everyone seems to be doing OK. Like JarJar, I too am furloughed since I'm in the entertainment industry. Hope to get called back no later than the end of August. Smoked a couple butts and some stuff jalapenos on the fourth - that's about it.

Stay safe all!

I'll add my sentiment that if the park is open, we'll be there. Has been a long while since I've checked the site, but glad to hear everyone seems to be doing OK. Like JarJar, I too am furloughed since I'm in the entertainment industry. Hope to get called back no later than the end of August. Smoked a couple butts and some stuff jalapenos on the fourth - that's about it.

Stay safe all!
Glad to hear you're making the most of the pandemic :) I haven't fired up the smoker in a hot minute! Maybe over the weekend. There was a post on here a couple weeks ago about smoked bologna that looked awesome!

Its been a long, hot, kinda lonely summer. Cant go anywhere. Johns been cooking something in his kitchen every weekend. Trying new things. Looking forward to being able to gather again. Fingers crossed that park is open, we will be there.

Anyone want to come play in Johns kitchen, you are welcome to visit any time.

As of today it looks like the park is open for day-time visitation only...no camping and amenities are closed (how i read it)...i'll check back on their website in a month and keep checking/updating

From their site:
SAFETY UPDATES
Effective immediately, Florida State Parks will follow local orders requiring facial coverings or masks to provide for staff and visitor safety
. These requirements vary from area to area.
DEP continues to re-open Florida State Parks as part of the phased plan to re-open Florida. As these parks re-open areas, experiences and amenities, DEP will be taking measures to ensure the protection of staff and the public. During this phase of re-opening, visitors should expect limited hours, capacity and amenities. As part of the phased re-opening of limited overnight accommodations, measures may be in place to reduce camping density. Currently, no walk-in overnight sites are available.
Our main priority is the safety of our guests and staff. As such, we will continue to review operations on a daily basis and make additional operational changes as may be deemed necessary for protection of public health.
View details about Online Payment, Park Closures, Campground Closures, Park Programs and Events, and Facial Coverings.
LIMITED VISITATION AT THIS PARK

Effective July 2, 2020: Highlands Hammock State Park is open (see hours of operation and fee information below). The Civilian Conservation Corps Museum remains closed until further notice. Restroom availability may be limited. All other park facilities are closed. Visitors are expected to maintain distances of at least six feet apart.

The way I'm reading it is... at this point in time they are not accepting campers that just show up for a non reserved site ... We'll see what happens when the time comes... Obviously it's not looking good at this moment as cases are soaring through the roof ...

STAY SAFE Y'ALL...

Howdy all! I haven’t been on for a while and wanted to check in and see what’s see going on with folks and the gathering. Glad to see everyone is healthy and safe. As for me, I’m in the same boat as most. Work hours were cut more than half and FL unemployment system has been less than helpful. I don’t think I’ll be making it this year. Being super careful with this pandemic as it could be deadly for Momma at 92. Will be heading to GA with a buddy I spend a lot of time with to his hunting lease. Sure gonna miss seeing everyone...especially Brad 😂. But, who knows what Nov. will bring. Until next time, stay well, stay safe, stay healthy!

I was hoping to come by this year & at least say hi, but I have some immunity issues & with Covid, I just can’t take that chance.
Al

Good morning forum/gathering family! I just checked on HH's website and the note still remains about "some amenities are not available"....so i'm going to call the park shortly and ask what the situation is for reserved campers. I'll post back on here as i hear more. Really hoping to see all of you in November!

Anyone get after it this weekend? Did a butt, one loin, but cut it into 3rds to try three different rubs, and some Sam's club wrapped jalapenos. I wouldn't normally go pre-make, but they are SO time consuming to make. They were NOT seeded properly, so some were pretty hot even for my taste. Everything else came out well, although I think I need to replace the external thermometer.

Attachments

• Butt Before.jpg
    Butt Before.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Loins Before.jpg
    Loins Before.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Butt After.jpg
    Butt After.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Loins After.jpg
    Loins After.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 7
Anyone get after it this weekend? Did a butt, one loin, but cut it into 3rds to try three different rubs, and some Sam's club wrapped jalapenos. I wouldn't normally go pre-make, but they are SO time consuming to make. They were NOT seeded properly, so some were pretty hot even for my taste. Everything else came out well, although I think I need to replace the external thermometer.

That all looks good ... I went to Winn Dixie and got 2 twin packs of butts ($.99 lb)... and a brisket ($2.49 lb)... The brisket is in the freezer.. the butts ended up going through the grinder and stuffed 35 lbs worth of snack sticks... I did Jalapenos W/Chedder (10 lbs) ... Pepper W/ Pepper Jack (10 lbs) ... Pepperoni (10 lbs)... and TexMex W/Colby jack (5 lbs).... Smoked the Japs and TexMex yesterday.... Pepperoni and Pepper are in the smokehouse now ...

As for the Gathering... Not sure what all I'm doing yet.... I know I can't wait for it to get here... Covid or not ...

Reactions: roadkill cafe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky