日本のコンフォートフード Japanese Comfort Food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I've been missing some of my old comfort foods from SoCal, I used to love some Katsu from one of my favorite Japanese eateries.
So I went to work putting together a first class Sunday lunch for the family.

Tonkatsu, Panko Breaded Pork in Curry with Vegetables
Sunomono, Cucumber Salad
Rice

Curry with Vegetables
I cheat and use S&B Golden Curry sauce, I like the Medium Hot or Hot
Parboil chopped carrots, potatoes and onion till just tender, then add to curry and simmer for 15-20 minutes
Serve over pork, chicken or beef

Yu4UHrW.jpg

PY1VPmY.jpg

Breaded Pork Cutlets
4.5lbs of pork cutlets
Dredge cutlets in seasoned flour, egg wash and then Panko
Chill for 15-30 min to set the panko breading
Pan fry or deep fry till tender-n-juicy with a beautiful golden brown crunchy crust
Salt well while still dripping grease and allow to drain well

ITycEZi.jpg

2rvfmM7.jpg

Sunomono, Cucumber Salad
5C Cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced thin
(Use Kyuri (Japanese) if you can find them, I use English)
1C Rice vinegar
4T Soy sauce
3T Mirin
4T Sugar
4t Sesame oil
Sesame seeds
Marinate/Chill for a hour or two, drain and serve

h0Huswe.jpg

Rice

Finale

re3hE4Z.jpg

Last edited:
OMG, I love tonkatsu! Chicken katsu, too. There used to be a place across the street from where I work that did a fabulous version. I've made it, too, but it's been a while. The wife does Weight Watchers, and gets riled when there is a deep-fried, oily smell in the house. Never tried it with curry sauce; I buy the katsu sauce from a local asian market.

OMG, I love tonkatsu! Chicken katsu, too. There used to be a place across the street from where I work that did a fabulous version. I've made it, too, but it's been a while. The wife does Weight Watchers, and gets riled when there is a deep-fried, oily smell in the house. Never tried it with curry sauce; I buy the katsu sauce from a local asian market.
The only thing missing here was some Bulldog Sauce.

I love Chicken Katsu-ni, that stuff is incredible.
I've some Dashi mix so that's probably coming soon.

My talking about the Chicken Katsu-ni got me off my arse and into the kitchen to whip up a reasonable version.
Not as pretty as some, but the taste was right on.
Yuuuummy! My tummy is tight as a drum.

I had a few breaded chicken breasts leftover, sliced those up.
Sliver some onion and toss in skillet, add some leftover chicken broth, a splash of Ponzu and simmer the onions for a few minutes.
Lay the chicken on the onions and break a couple of eggs on top
Some sesame seeds and red pepper, cover and set the eggs
Slide onto plate piping hot

F0BMPrm.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Great John!!!:)
Some of It might be Japanese, but some of it is definitely Greek to me!!
You sure do cook a lot !!
Like.

Bear

Looks Great John!!!:)
Some of It might be Japanese, but some of it is definitely Greek to me!!
You sure do cook a lot !!
Like.

Bear
Yes John, I do, but it's usually just on the weekends.
Hey now, Greek food is good too, maybe next weekend?
Thanks for the Like, appreciate it.

I didn't want to show you up and post my TotankaKatsu made with wild buffalo/bison meat from a buffalo I strangled with a rubber band and a paper clip and my bare hands so I figured I would just say great work on what you have made. :rolleyes::p:D

Hahahahaha, I'm just kidding I've never made Katsu anything much less Totanka (Buffalo/Bison) hahaha.
I just thought it would be a funny play on the words and if you get the wild hair feel free to do it some day and wow us all like you have with this food!

Your meals look great and I look forward to any other Japanese stuff you post. I make a pseudo-Pork Shank Ramen when I shoot wild/feral hogs each year and I make a quick Japanese'ish soup with shirataki/furakawa noodles for a low carb Japanese/Asian inspired wanna-be ramen type of soup with a Dashi base, Nori (seaweed) and some Japanese 7 spice in it.
That is about as close as I get to making my own Japanese meals so I will be taking notes on this stuff :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky