Wings and Breasts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Favorite wing sauce

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

berrya

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Indiana
I got home early today and decided to fire up ol' reliable (UDS). I have never smoked wings and breasts so I decided to try it for the first time. I did a simple brine for a couple of hours and added Jeff's rub to them. I got the smoker temp up to 235 and put them on. They stayed on for roughly an hour and 30 minutes and finished them on the gas grill at 400 degrees (I wanted to finish on the charcoal grill, but ran out of charcoal). I didn't think I would ever run out of charcoal at the house!!! (Insert face palm emoji)

I was extremely pleased with how these turned out. I also made some of Jeff's BBQ sauce, but the chicken didn't need it. The family loves the bbq sauce, so we will use it for other things.
Chicken Wings and Breast.jpg

We usually go with Franks-n-butter, but some smokes I just feel like teriyaki or plain no sauce. Your wings and breasts look really good.

Point for sure.
Chris

They look great!

But I am surprised.
I would have never thought you'd run out of Charcoal either. :emoji_scream:
Even I have some charcoal around.
I never use it, but I find it is novel to open the can I keep it in to fondle now and then. Probably 20 pounds. And my retired Brinkman UDS to burn it in, in case I ever need to truly BBQ something.

I always have some of my home mixed sauce in the fridge. Just SBR and my rub. But I like it.

Looks great points on the cook! Smoked chicken is awesome but I do breasts it on my gas grill all the time too...hard to beat that sear you get

We usually go with Franks-n-butter, but some smokes I just feel like teriyaki or plain no sauce. Your wings and breasts look really good.

Point for sure.
Chris
I was never a fan of sauced wings, always preferred dry rubs. I never liked the sauced wings I'd had at restaurants. Been cooking a bunch of wings at home recently and wanted to switch things up. Tried Franks and butter and instantly found out why it is considered a classic. Started by mixing the sauce and wings in a bowl, but found that using it as a dipping sauce lets the skin stay crispy for an extended wing eating session.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I was never a fan of sauced wings, always preferred dry rubs. I never liked the sauced wings I'd had at restaurants. Been cooking a bunch of wings at home recently and wanted to switch things up. Tried Franks and butter and instantly found out why it is considered a classic. Started by mixing the sauce and wings in a bowl, but found that using it as a dipping sauce lets the skin stay crispy for an extended wing eating session.

I second that. I usually like something a little more on the hot side though and either make my own with fresh habaneros or add a little ghost pepper sauce to the franks and butter

Frank's Buffalo wing sauce & butter here too. But I finish the wings on a hot gas grill to get the skin crispy, or just cook them on the kettle with the Vortex. Then when they are done I toss them in a bowl with the sauce.
Crispy skin, hot wings. For breasts I like BBQ sauce & sauce them while they are smoking.!
Al

Frank's Buffalo wing sauce & butter here too. But I finish the wings on a hot gas grill to get the skin crispy, or just cook them on the kettle with the Vortex. Then when they are done I toss them in a bowl with the sauce.
Crispy skin, hot wings. For breasts I like BBQ sauce & sauce them while they are smoking.!
Al

They look great!

But I am surprised.
I would have never thought you'd run out of Charcoal either. :emoji_scream:
Even I have some charcoal around.
I never use it, but I find it is novel to open the can I keep it in to fondle now and then. Probably 20 pounds. And my retired Brinkman UDS to burn it in, in case I ever need to truly BBQ something.

I always have some of my home mixed sauce in the fridge. Just SBR and my rub. But I like it.

Sonny,

It was not one of my better moments... I had just enough "Fuel" to add to the charcoal basket for this smoke. I don't think I will make this mistake again.

Reactions: SonnyE

Point for sure.
Chris

Thank you for the point. It is hard to beat Franks!!

I like dry rubs as well. At restaurants, I will get dry rub and then sauce on the side so I can control how much I put on. I don't like the places that "Drown" the wings in sauce.

Al

Al,

I thought about adding sauce to the breasts as I went, but decided against it. I will have to give that a try.

I had some leftovers today and reheated a breast with some of Jeff's BBQ sauce to make a burrito.

Sonny,

It was not one of my better moments... I had just enough "Fuel" to add to the charcoal basket for this smoke. I don't think I will make this mistake again.

I try to never miss the chance to pull somebodies leg.
This time I grabbed yours.
If you can, some folks just grab a twofer of charcoal bags when they go to the store. Set some back and never run out.
I took the easy route, I have Natural Gas plumbed out back and converted a Propane grill to NG.
Might be cheating, but I never have run out of fire or fuel yet. :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky