• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
So.. I have some questions and while I have no expectations of exact answers , I am hoping that someone can help me with some advice.

I have a new to me whole hog roster that's in need of restoration and modification. I'm debating about adding 2 Pellet Pros to the back side of this roaster effectively changing this from a charcoal/wood burner to a pellet smoker. My question lies in that each of the Pellet Pros produces 36,000 BTUs so 72,000 total for the idea I have. With the tank being 275 gallons, I am unsure if I will be able to reach the 400-450 range and be able to maintain there with only 72K BTUs.

If you're knowledgeable in this area please help me decide. I really don't want to invest the time/money to test this theory out without some more knowledge.

Thank you in advance!

1595089457949.png

Here's a photo of the trailer as I found it.

Reactions: kruizer
Pellet pro's are $574.99 a pop x 2 = 1,149.98 ! I wouldn't waste that kind of dough on a oil drum.

Boykjo

Well, not to be rude, but I am not you, nor am I spending your money.

If your looking for a set it and forget it kind of deal, add a pipe burner, make it a gasser and use pellets for smoke. https://amazenproducts.com/

My 2 cents

Boykjo

Neither of your posts answers the questions I posed. Thanks anyways.

Put 7-7.5# of charcoal in it and see if you can get it to 400-450. I highly doubt it but it’s a cheap test. Charcoal briquettes average around 9700 btus/#

Reactions: kilo charlie
Put 7-7.5# of charcoal in it and see if you can get it to 400-450. I highly doubt it but it’s a cheap test. Charcoal briquettes average around 9700 btus/#

Ok.. fair enough answer.. but why 7-7.5# specifically? Are you saying 1 pound of charcoal briquettes produces 9700 BTUs x 7.5# giving 72,750 BTU potential?

2 pellet pros would have no problem on a 275 gallon tank. 72k is more than enough. You really have your heart set on the pellet pros? There are a TON of less expensive options.

2 pellet pros would have no problem on a 275 gallon tank. 72k is more than enough. You really have your heart set on the pellet pros? There are a TON of less expensive options.

Ironically, I just received an email from Dennis at Smoke Daddy Inc that stated the Pellet Pros are good for 36K BTUs and about 10 cubic feet. Based on the measurements of the tank it's slightly less than 42 Cubic feet ( I can't account for the oval shape, so I suspect it's less than 40 but still greater than 30) which would require 4 units total to heat it adequately.

If you have links to less expensive units I would be interested, but I already have many other smokers and am not interested in propane or natural gas, and more set on either running it as a charcoal/wood burner or changing it to a pellet burner.

Interesting project. I’ve never seen one with stacks pointing in opposite directions like that. Is one the intake and one the exhaust? Let’s see some pictures of your other smokers.

Reactions: flatbroke
Interesting project. I’ve never seen one with stacks pointing in opposite directions like that. Is one the intake and one the exhaust? Let’s see some pictures of your other smokers.

I acquired it with the smoke stacks like that.. it's annoying me and will be fixed soon.. .

Pit Boss Copperhead 5 with 2 spatchcocked chickens

1595101264072.png

Charbroil 600 - modified with polished stainless steel and new water pan

1595101298451.png

Masterbuilt Propane smoker being used for cold smoking with an A-maze-n Pellet tube (12")

1595101331400.png

Not sure I have a photo of my old Brinkmann 3 n 1 ... Also have a Pit Boss Classic Pellet Grill and still rolling a Char Broil gas grill too

Reactions: kruizer
Since it's new to you...did you ever see it in use from previous owner? I can't help with your btu questions, and everyone needs a project to tinker with, if you enjoy that kind of stuff. Like you mentioned it's your smoker and your money so don't take this the wrong way. The charcoal test is a good idea with one problem...getting an empty smoker to a certain temp is one thing, but maintaining that temp with a whole hog is another...gonna be one big heat sink. Whether you decide to go with wood/charcoal or your pellet idea there will still be a learning curve. Maybe try it with charcoal/wood to see how you like it. If not you can always switch to pellets, which if two are not enough you can always supplement with wood or charcoal.

Ryan

Cool. I guess I miss understood I thought you had some that you had built. Looks like you got a nice variety.

Thank you.. and while all of my smokers have been modified in one way or another along the way.. the hog roaster is by far the biggest smoker project I will tackle to date.

Since it's new to you...did you ever see it in use from previous owner? I can't help with your btu questions, and everyone needs a project to tinker with, if you enjoy that kind of stuff. Like you mentioned it's your smoker and your money so don't take this the wrong way. The charcoal test is a good idea with one problem...getting an empty smoker to a certain temp is one thing, but maintaining that temp with a whole hog is another...gonna be one big heat sink. Whether you decide to go with wood/charcoal or your pellet idea there will still be a learning curve. Maybe try it with charcoal/wood to see how you like it. If not you can always switch to pellets, which if two are not enough you can always supplement with wood or charcoal.

Ryan

Yes..it actually belonged to my neighbor who passed away last year. he ran it with straight up charcoal .. literally just shoveled it in as needed. While he had me help him load and unload the hogs now and then I did not pay enough attention to all the little details at the time. It's probably been sitting for at least 4 years.

I added a trailer jack and new tires/wheels just to get it home. The whole thing will get sand blasted and it needs some welds fixed and who knows what else is under the paint that I can't see yet. The a fresh coat of paint etc. Not only do I have to figure out the heating part of it, but I have to come up with a drive system for the rotisserie ( previous owner had a direct drive motor but it kept burning them up due to poor design) and I intend to build a grate to put in place of the rotisserie for large smoking projects.

1595102651672.png

Good luck and look forward to the finished product. I’m sure you will get it working like a clock in no time.

Good luck and look forward to the finished product. I’m sure you will get it working like a clock in no time.

HAHA Appreciate the confidence! It might take me a minute to get it running again but I'll post up when I do

Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky