Where can I find the plastic casing for breakfast sausage like used by Jimmy Dean and for Hamburger Rolls?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I looked on TSM and didn't find any.

I normally just make the sausage, press it flat in the shrink-wrapper, freeze it, thaw it when needed, roll it up into appropriately sized balls, and then cook it. But I was hoping to be able to stuff it in a 2 to 2.5 inch plastic casing so I can partially thaw it, slice it into patties, peel and cook.

I just use these for my fresh breakfast sausage. When you cut the bag off you get the same "roll" just like with store bought
Screenshot_20220202_173218.png

Reactions: jcam222
I just do the plastic wrap thing where you spin it than roll on counter but need to look into those bags.

Cool video but not feasible for large batches or freezing thereafter. Those bags are thick plastic and they prevent freezer burn. Plus super easy to fill with your grinder or stuffer

Reactions: indaswamp
Cool video but not feasible for large batches or freezing thereafter. Those bags are thick plastic and they prevent freezer burn. Plus super easy to fill with your grinder or stuffer
I freeze than vacuum pack but I only make 2 lbs at a time. I going to have to get some bags. I been wanting to make that Lao Sausage she has in the video. Sounds really good.

Reactions: TNJAKE
30 pack for $6.99....ouch. But if you are doing a very small batch......and not very often.....

Yeah much better deal way back when we were using a lot of bags we got them from a local grocery store manager that sometimes hunted with us. He would sell them to us cheap or just give them to us. There was no Amazon back in those days lol

Yeah much better deal way back when we were using a lot of bags we got them from a local grocery store manager that sometimes hunted with us. He would sell them to us cheap or just give them to us. There was no Amazon back in those days lol
Free from a connection is always good. But sanz that....
That's why I went ahead and bought a box of 1000. Cheap as I could make it.

Good deal for sure

The two or 3 of my sporting goods stores that have a BBQ / cooking section carries those 1# bags, and things like freezer paper, tape, hog rings and pliers, rubs, kits for jerky, sausage, fish fry, marinades and injections. For sealing, I twist the air out and use the small zip ties to seal them.

Reactions: indaswamp
For sealing, I twist the air out and use the small zip ties to seal them.
We use to do that as well, an it works great, but the tape machine is so much faster for processing day where we will fill 300+ bags with meat. And it only takes on man to do it....and trims the bag all in one motion. Just the machine knocked a good 2 hours off processing day.

Reactions: thirdeye
Thanks guys.
I was trying to avoid the square bottom of the game bags.
Based on what everyone posted above, I don't think what I am looking for is available.
I will probably stay with my current system.

Thanks guys.
I was trying to avoid the square bottom of the game bags.
Based on what everyone posted above, I don't think what I am looking for is available.
I will probably stay with my current system.
Are you wanting to crimp both ends just like the jimmy dean sausage packs? If that's the case, then you can use fibrous casings like made for bologna, but made in 2.5" diameter:

2.5" Fibrous Casings

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky