• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fresh Breakfast Sausage - My Jimmy Dean "knock-off" recipe

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Picnic roast has been $1.08/lbs at Walmart. I bought several. By the time you trim the skin and debone, the actual cost is still around $2.15/lbs. But I think picnic roast makes fine sausage as well as being my fave for pulled pork...even better than Boston Butt.

It's a rainy Saturday - so sausage time! Today I ground 7 lbs of picnic roast, 3/16" plate - single grind, 2 pounds for my breakfast sausage and 5 pounds for some pork roasted-garlic sticks. From start to finish, the breakfast sausage prep-time took maybe 25 minutes. 2 pounds makes about 3 rolls for us...I use quart Ziploc storage bags to make the rolls. We eat it fast enough that I don't bother with shrink wrapping.

Here are the pics. Recipe at the bottom:

Grinding with my small-batch grinder attachment. It took about 15 minutes to grind 7 pounds of pre-cubed pork.
IMG_7150.jpg

Two rolls and some sausage balls ready for the skillet:
IMG_7152.jpg

Pop to pork sausage balls in the skillet, let them cook for a minute, flip them, and then smash them for easy patty making:
IMG_7153.jpg

Done deal:
IMG_7155.jpg

Here is the recipe for a 1 pound batch:

Knockoff - Jimmy Dean - Breakfast Sausage
  • 16 ounces ground pork
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or 1/2 teaspoon, depending on how hot you want it)
    • 1/4 is about Jimmy Dean Regular, 1/2 is about Jimmy Dean Hot
  • 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon msg
  • 1/4 cup water

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Thanks guys, it is really good sausage. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.