Fresh Breakfast Sausage - My Jimmy Dean "knock-off" recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Picnic roast has been $1.08/lbs at Walmart. I bought several. By the time you trim the skin and debone, the actual cost is still around $2.15/lbs. But I think picnic roast makes fine sausage as well as being my fave for pulled pork...even better than Boston Butt.

It's a rainy Saturday - so sausage time! Today I ground 7 lbs of picnic roast, 3/16" plate - single grind, 2 pounds for my breakfast sausage and 5 pounds for some pork roasted-garlic sticks. From start to finish, the breakfast sausage prep-time took maybe 25 minutes. 2 pounds makes about 3 rolls for us...I use quart Ziploc storage bags to make the rolls. We eat it fast enough that I don't bother with shrink wrapping.

Here are the pics. Recipe at the bottom:

Grinding with my small-batch grinder attachment. It took about 15 minutes to grind 7 pounds of pre-cubed pork.
IMG_7150.jpg

Two rolls and some sausage balls ready for the skillet:
IMG_7152.jpg

Pop to pork sausage balls in the skillet, let them cook for a minute, flip them, and then smash them for easy patty making:
IMG_7153.jpg

Done deal:
IMG_7155.jpg

Here is the recipe for a 1 pound batch:

Knockoff - Jimmy Dean - Breakfast Sausage
  • 16 ounces ground pork
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or 1/2 teaspoon, depending on how hot you want it)
    • 1/4 is about Jimmy Dean Regular, 1/2 is about Jimmy Dean Hot
  • 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon msg
  • 1/4 cup water

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky