When/Where did you get your FIRST taste of REAL BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For me it was 1988 while stationed at Fort Benning Georgia.

There was a mom and pop shop the guys i was stationed with went to for lunch , and all they would talk about was Wednesday night Q . My first time there of course since i was the "newbie" one of the guys ordered for me and i have to say when the food came out to us it was on a lunch tray and just packed with ribs , brisket, pulled pork and smoked chicken plus all of the sides !

well let me tell you the first bit was heaven and after being stationed there for a little over two years the owners got to know me and i asked them how they cooked their meat to give it flavor and make it so moist , well long story short , i was shown his HUGE smoker that i still dream of having my self !!

Early 90's - I went and visited my Brother in North Carolina and on the way to Martinsville VA for a NASCAR race we stopped at some tiny shack and chowed on the real deal!  Then it was years later when I started doing some of my own grilling that I wanted to learn how to make that same slice of heaven I had tasted years earlier.  That led to this and here I am - living in the Virgin Islands and still playing on a grill with smoke and rub (better than smoke and mirrors!)

I grew up with my dad cooking burgers, chops, chicken etc... on the ole charcoal pit like most folks.  But what really captured my attention was my neighbor building a metal lean-to out of roofing tin with a wood fire going underneath it and hanging a whole hog up and cooking it for 24 hours.  When you are a 12 year old kid, staying up all night to do anything is cool.  I still remember the way that crispy skin tasted.  It's been in my blood ever since.

In the womb.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 My mom swears she ate pulled pulled pork every day while she was pregnant. There was this place called Gumps and it was a dive for sure. Couple of old drunk fellers out back with their hole in the ground and a whole hog going. Dang, they don't make them like that anymore.
icon_cry.gif

For me it was a place named Skinner & Daniels in Wilmington, North Carolina when I was about 8 years old. The have the Carolina Style Q with the cider vinegar based sauce. Sandwiches are served with a sweet cole slaw on top.....yummmmmmm!

This thread has made me kind of sad to realize some people can remember a time when they had never tasted BBQ.

In the womb.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 My mom swears she ate pulled pulled pork every day while she was pregnant. There was this place called Gumps and it was a dive for sure. Couple of old drunk fellers out back with their hole in the ground and a whole hog going. Dang, they don't make them like that anymore.
icon_cry.gif
Old Drunk Fellers??? Yes the do Squirrel. They still make them.   
biggrin.gif

Miss Ya,

Bear

First REAL BBQ...Coulter's BBQ, Arlington TX, 1990. Brisket and St Louis cut Ribs. Stayed 3 months in TX and ate at Coulter's 3-4 times a week...Before that Mom's idea of Ribs was this lame recipe she saw in Woman's day where you mixed Apricot Preserves with Wishbone French Salad Dressing and Baked them till the bones fell out! And Beef BBQ was Ground Beef cooked on the stove with Heinz Chili sauce, Brn Sugar and Mustard aka Sloppy Joes!...JJ

For Me ?..........The first place I had "REAL" BBQ was 25 years ago when My Brother relocated to Texas .

The town he lived in Grapevine Texas had a little place Mom and Pop (and kids) that did Brisket, Ribs Chicken and FRIED BOLOGNA  ( I had never even heard of that before )  I think it was called Bartlet's  on main st.        I was back this past December and they have moved off main st. into a mini mall ( shame it was such  a cool old building)  BUT it was just as good !

I only started smokin this year and would love to make stuff that good

Well,I was a year old and my first taste of real BBQ was 63 yrs. ago when my Mom stopped in a BBQ Joint and got some Beef. She got in the car,pulled off a piece for me and said I sat-up and devoured it as fast as I could and wanted more and more...since then I have been a BBQ Fanatic
yahoo.gif

I posted a while ago . on this thread the first time I had " Real BBQ" it was in Grapevine Texas ............

Well as luck would have it ........I'm traveling to Dallas Texas this week-end  to visit my brother ....SO    I will re visit the scene of the crime !

I hope Bartly's  BBQ is still going strong !  I also checked the web site for Diner's , Drive in's & Dives  and plan on visiting some places from the show .....

BBQ Obsessed ...............I think so !   ( any suggestions in the Dallas Fort Worth area ???  )
b6c6f797_istockphoto_15790860-bbq-surf-tiki.jpg

I was on a business trip to San Francisco a few years ago. There was this Asian Tapas BBQ fusion place I'd seen on the food channel. I had the vegan brisket slow steamed over a white wine reduction with banana leaves and sprouts. It was to die for.

just kidding. It was a few years back at a little converted gas station on an island off the Southeast coast, run by a coupla hippies. Best damned meal I've ever had, and my first taste of REAL, honest to goodness BBQ.

My first taste was the McRib.  j/k

Growing up I always had the usual burgers, dogs, chicken and the occasional steak on my dad's weber.  My first real taste came a few years ago was in at hole in the wall place a little town on the California coast ran by a Texan transplant that looks like Willie Nelson.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky