When are baby backs done?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

packdog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
NW of Spartenburg, SC
Hi all.  Since I found the forum I have been using the search feature a lot.  Great information and group of folks willing to share.  My hats off to the owner and moderators who keep the forum running.  Ok, I really have a question. 

How do you know for when ribs are done?  In this case baby backs?  I did several searches but did not seem to find a clear answer other than don't use meat temp.  

Thanks in advance.  Baby Backs are 2 hours into smoking now.

Ken

Hi Ken,

The tried and true way to measure doneness of BBs is the bend test.  Pick up the rack with a pair of tongs close to the end, if you get about a 90 degree bend they are ready, they may even start to break apart so be careful.

I don't even bother to test them anymore.  I smoke BBs at 225*-240* for two hours, foil them for 1.5 hours, then back on without foil for another 1.5 hours and they are perfect every time.

Good luck and good smoking.

Bill

Thanks for the quick answer.  I will give that a try next go.  Unfortunately, I cut the rack in half.  My wife wanted to try a cherry rub we picked up a while back so I split the rack.   

Ken 

While the bend test is a good indicator of the doneness of ribs my preferred test is with a toothpick. Push into the meat and if it goes in and comes out easily and smoothly without resistance, they're done.

Pull-back of the meat from the end of the bone is the best indicator of done-ness with ribs. The amount of pull-back or meat shrinkage you want to see will vary with the amount of tenderness you want. Fall-off-the-bone ribs will have the most pull-back.

Also, slab bend test or sag of the slab when lifted and supported in the center of the slab will indicate the degree of done-ness as a quick check before removing from the cooker. Less sag indicates more meat shrinkage...the more shrinkage there is the more done they are.

I have heard of a few attempting to use a thermometer probe and compare the results of the temp with the amount of pull-back or slab bend, but never heard of the results. Temps are not easy to get from a thin slab of meat such as BBs or spares, especially with a lot of bones present, so this would be a difficult undertaking. It could be a viable option with heavier/thicker slabs of beef ribs, though I've never tried it with them, either.

I guess the next question would be how tender do you want your ribs and how to get them to that texture? Amount of tenderness is a personal preference. Then, do you want a bark (crust) on the surface, or tender all the way through. Different methods will achieve different results, and foiling during mid-smoke is one way to get a more tender rib with less bark, as an example. If you've read much on ribs here, you've probably seen the mention of 2-2-1 for BBs and 3-2-1 for spares. This is a commonly used method by many members here for getting a tender rib and setting the bark at the end of cooking...may not be to your liking having a bark and if so, omit the open grate cooking at the end, and extend the foiled time or initial smoking time, instead.

In any case, you should cook low & slow, not over 250* smoke chamber temp, and generally 225*, to achieve a tender rib. You can build on what amount of time and temp to use with some experimenting to get a rib you like best. Again, personal preference will determine which direction to go after trying a few different methods.

Well, that's a start for answering your questions...hope it helps.

Eric

EDIT: I see my distractions got in the way for a while and you have other replies now...man, things are chaotic here today.

Last edited:
Looks like you're in good hands with the answers above....
439.gif

You have received some good answers here.

I don't do many baby backs, we do more spares.

With more time and practice, you will not worry about it.  You  will just KNOW when the ribs are done, based on the method you choose.

Then there is the problem with your guests and family.  Some like "fall-off-the-bone"  others, like me, like a slight tug.

Not to worry. 

A great guy here often said,  "It's all good, my friend".

Good luck and good smoking.

Pull-back of the meat from the end of the bone is the best indicator of done-ness with ribs. The amount of pull-back or meat shrinkage you want to see will vary with the amount of tenderness you want. Fall-off-the-bone ribs will have the most pull-back.

Also, slab bend test or sag of the slab when lifted and supported in the center of the slab will indicate the degree of done-ness as a quick check before removing from the cooker. Less sag indicates more meat shrinkage...the more shrinkage there is the more done they are.

I have heard of a few attempting to use a thermometer probe and compare the results of the temp with the amount of pull-back or slab bend, but never heard of the results. Temps are not easy to get from a thin slab of meat such as BBs or spares, especially with a lot of bones present, so this would be a difficult undertaking. It could be a viable option with heavier/thicker slabs of beef ribs, though I've never tried it with them, either.

I guess the next question would be how tender do you want your ribs and how to get them to that texture? Amount of tenderness is a personal preference. Then, do you want a bark (crust) on the surface, or tender all the way through. Different methods will achieve different results, and foiling during mid-smoke is one way to get a more tender rib with less bark, as an example. If you've read much on ribs here, you've probably seen the mention of 2-2-1 for BBs and 3-2-1 for spares. This is a commonly used method by many members here for getting a tender rib and setting the bark at the end of cooking...may not be to your liking having a bark and if so, omit the open grate cooking at the end, and extend the foiled time or initial smoking time, instead.

In any case, you should cook low & slow, not over 250* smoke chamber temp, and generally 225*, to achieve a tender rib. You can build on what amount of time and temp to use with some experimenting to get a rib you like best. Again, personal preference will determine which direction to go after trying a few different methods.

Well, that's a start for answering your questions...hope it helps.

Eric

EDIT: I see my distractions got in the way for a while and you have other replies now...man, things are chaotic here today.
Right on with answer. I' m not a culinary guy, self taught, plus internet is great and irt is still hit and miss. I am a 250* guy. Works every time.

When all the meat has been eaten off the bone...LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky