Well this is NOT good

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
It is so dry here that we've got about 80 out of controlled fires here in Alberta. They've evacuated over 13000 people, mainly small towns and rural residences--including Drayton Valley. We have grass and forest fires, and mandatory evacuations on all 4 sides of us here on our 10 acres of bushland. The closest 30 minute evacuation stand by is about 4 miles south and 1 mile east. We've been sitting on pins and needles for 3 days praying the wind will switch to blowing from the west or north. We've got a good low pressure moving in but, par for the course, it's coming from the north--with winds blowing from the south. If the fire moves into the tinder dry forest.....I'm not even sure if the 30 minute stand by will apply.
We're pretty well prepared to haul a$$. Move our stuff from where it sits beside Miss Linda's minivan and hook my truck up to the fifth wheel trailer. But. The trailer is my winter log haul camp shack and it's only 21 ft overall. Can't quite fathom what it will be like with 2 adults, our 5 year old grandson, and our certifiably insane cat all staying in it.
Gary

Be safe Gary. We just had a wildfire not far from me. Burned around 2000 acres I think. I could see the smoke up on the hill from my house.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Be safe Gary, I can't even imagine what you're going thru.

Chris

Stay safe and while I’m sure you won’t. Don’t hesitate leaving when told as the roads get congested fast and time may be short. Practice doing evacuation with the group now as if it were imminent. Do it several times until you have it down Pat. Your minds are clear and won’t be in an emergency. Doing the practice runs saved my coworker in Santa Rosa. His neighbor died. They didn’t have enough time.

Stay safe and while I’m sure you won’t. Don’t hesitate leaving when told as the roads get congested fast and time may be short. Practice doing evacuation with the group now as if it were imminent. Do it several times until you have it down Pat. Your minds are clear and won’t be in an emergency. Doing the practice runs saved my coworker in Santa Rosa. His neighbor died. They didn’t have enough time.
Definitely a good idea

Praying for safety Gary. Gods Speed.

Stay safe Gary if you need a hide out come on down to central pa.

Be safe Gary. We just had a wildfire not far from me. Burned around 2000 acres I think. I could see the smoke up on the hill from my house.

Be safe Gary, I can't even imagine what you're going thru.

Chris

Safety first Gary. Stuff can be replaced, loved ones, will break your heart forever.

Stay safe! Sounds pretty scary.
Thanks guys. About all we can do is wait and see. We're sure not going far from home while we wait.
Gary

Oh yeah. I'm not too concerned about the roads being congested--I won't be on the road with the majority of people. That's one big advantage of spending the last 16 years hauling gravel into the oil patch. I know all the back roads all through the area, and we won't be going the same direction as everybody else. I can bypass all the fires. Might take a bit longer to get where we're headed, but we'll arrive there safely.
Gary

They've had a big increase in the number of people evacuated over night. Now it's 24000--up 11000.
The bad news is the prepare to evacuate zone is now 2 miles south and 1 mile east of us. The good news is there's no wind today and it's cold and raining--raining just hard enough for dust control, but trying.
Gary

Prayers Gary I sure hope the rain comes down hard enough to help or you get a change in wind direction. Stay safe and listen to the orders if conditions are right fire can move in a hurry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky