Alberta Disaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As of this morning the fire covered 85000 Hectors (probably spelled that wrong). Now I'm thinking that means the same to most of you as it does to me--nothing. So I converted it. It comes out to just over 210,000 acres. To put that into perspective, it's larger than Calgary. And Calgary is a VERY spread out city of more than one million people. The RCMP have barricaded and closed Hwy 63, the only southbound route, due to fires crossing it.

So far only 2 deaths and they were from a head on collision.

Yep...generous folks on both side of the border. This fellow from US donated 1000$ ...no family/friends here....just vacationing in Canada sometimes.

Lots of feel good stories; an aviation company had to evacuate too, after airlifting a bunch of stranded folks. They didn't have much fuel left in their choppers. A business owner , who was rescued by them a day before, filled up all their tanks free of charge.

I can't imagine going through something like this... total devastation... I've been praying for all involved since the first day I heard about it... Will keep praying till all is said and done... :canadian-flag-15:

At the present time, the fire covers over 600 square miles--an area larger than London England. By tonight it is expected to increase in size to 800 Sq miles.

Duke Burger have you managed to evacuate yet?? Thinking about you.

Gary

Last edited:
As with  many others on here my family is thinking and offer prayers for all. So sad as to how quickly ones life can be turned upside down it is not hardly possible to even think how it would be and the feelings you have to lose everything you have. Gary I'm sure you will keep us posted you know what little we see on the news is not what is the real.

Warren

Wow this is the first I've heard of this! Haven't looked at any news today.
My heart and prayers go out to those who have lost their homes. I can't imagine what I would do....

Update:

Successfully escaped the north in the first RCMP-led convoy at dawn Friday morning!! Really bad scene through Fort McMurray. A booming city a few days earlier, now a fire-ravaged ghost town. Shook me up quite a bit.

Took a few photos in the areas I wasn'tweaving my way through abandoned vehicles.

Duke glad to see you are safe,are they making any headway out there?

Richie
Fire has reached 200,000 hectares and ready to cross into Saskatchewan. Hearing that this could go on for months if we don't get a good rainfall soon.

All major oilsands operations have been shutdown and evacuated.

These pics were taken Sunday May 1st on the way north to Fort McMurray. The fire had not reached town yet, but there were 2 other fires within the city that had been battled successfully by Monday.

I had gone home that weekend and noticed the smoke on the way back up, I had not heard of any fire happening in the area before making the trip.

Fire has reached 200,000 hectares and ready to cross into Saskatchewan. Hearing that this could go on for months if we don't get a good rainfall soon.

All major oilsands operations have been shutdown and evacuated.
Sure glad you got out safe and sound--its gotta be GOOD to be home again!!!

Bad news for a Saskatchewan Boy like me, that there.

Gary

Thanks guys. It's great to be home!
grilling_smilie.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky