Picanha treat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
As I've said before, we don't have "butcher" shops or meat lockers in deep South Florida (North Cuba). Perusing the sale papers Wednesday I saw a blurb from our local little Italian market. Prices there are typically 30% higher than grocery stores, but worth it if you strike it lucky. They list Whole Prime Picanha at $8.99/lb. You have to be careful down here because with language and cultural differences down here they are pretty loose with descriptions. These cuts are perfectly suited to a MB560 gravity, as you can do the smoke at 230, remove and crank it up to over 500 for the quick sear. There are a ton of google "recipes" for Picanha. I always go with "Jess". I F'd up and didn't take prep pictures. so, Score and trim the very hard, thick fat cap. Seasoning/rub, Coarse salt and coarse black pepper only.
Smoke at 230 with MB lump and a few chunks of oak (fat side up) to target of 125-130 for medium rare. spritzing occaisionally. Crank MB to 500 and sear meat on bottom grate for minute or so on each side. Looking for 130 internally via #inkbird. Remove, tent, and slice across grain. It'sd a real treat when you can find it. Not crazy about iphone coloremetry. was better in person.

picanha edit.jpg

That is correct way to cook it, like a tritip it does not do well with anything more than med-rare to rare. Yeah the color looks purple but we all know that is a great red color.

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice results John, looks delicious.
Congrats on the carousel ride. 👍

As I've said before, we don't have "butcher" shops or meat lockers in deep South Florida (North Cuba). Perusing the sale papers Wednesday I saw a blurb from our local little Italian market. Prices there are typically 30% higher than grocery stores, but worth it if you strike it lucky. They list Whole Prime Picanha at $8.99/lb. You have to be careful down here because with language and cultural differences down here they are pretty loose with descriptions. These cuts are perfectly suited to a MB560 gravity, as you can do the smoke at 230, remove and crank it up to over 500 for the quick sear. There are a ton of google "recipes" for Picanha. I always go with "Jess". I F'd up and didn't take prep pictures. so, Score and trim the very hard, thick fat cap. Seasoning/rub, Coarse salt and coarse black pepper only.
Smoke at 230 with MB lump and a few chunks of oak (fat side up) to target of 125-130 for medium rare. spritzing occaisionally. Crank MB to 500 and sear meat on bottom grate for minute or so on each side. Looking for 130 internally via #inkbird. Remove, tent, and slice across grain. It'sd a real treat when you can find it. Not crazy about iphone coloremetry. was better in person.

View attachment 645954
Looks tasty! Schnuck's has CAB tri tips and these sirloin cap cuts. I have a couple of these in the freezer. Last I bought they were $7.99/lb but probably spiked since. In Brazil they'd cut the pieces you have but raw and pinch the ends together so the fat is on the outside and slide an inch wide flat skewer through these horseshoe shaped pieces, alternating the pieces down the skewer. I like it cooked whole unless doing veggies kabobs with them.

Last edited:
Being able to look past the odd color that your camera depicted, I'd say that looks like pure perfection!! Beautiful chunk of meat for sure.

Robert

Perfect-a-mundo I bet they tasted great!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Looks Great !! Like.
I never even heard of that Picanha stuff, until I got some from Wild Fork----Awesome Meat !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky