• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Weekend Battle Vortex Ribs

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
I smoked a rack of St Louis cut ribs last night after seeing this post, I went for 70 minutes after a rub with Kansas City Rib Rub, never popped the top. Ribs from the fat side of the rack stayed nice and juicy, dried out as the rack slimmed down to thinner ribs. I think next time I'll go with BB's for one hour. Overall turned out pretty dammed good, ate half for dinner and the other half rack for dessert. Just dry rubbed, sauce on the table. RAY

DSCN0504.JPG

DSCN0505.JPG

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Well that’s enough for me jump on it. Those ribs look great. Next rib run will be the vortex. Thanks for posting.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Ray... They look awesome... I like the crispyness of the dry rubbed ones...

Yours look a lot meatier than the ones I had...

Everybody else that says they need to try it... DON'T WAIT....

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Great job, those look tasty!
Riddle me this. What are your thoughts on tying a full rack of spares, standing on end around your set up there and making them that way?

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Buckeyedude Buckeyedude ... I don't think a full rack will be a big enough circle to make it around the top of the vortex (I could be wrong)...Think it might be to close to the heat on the inside of the ribs... I'm thinking it won't work out as well as the singles get heat from all sides... this in turn is what makes them cook faster... But Hey... If you have a vortex, give it a try and let us know how it went...

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
SmokinAl SmokinAl ... Did you get a chance to try them ?
No, I haven’t had a chance yet Keith I actually haven’t used my grill or smoker in a couple of weeks but the next thing that I do will be those ribs for sure.
Al

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Buckeyedude Buckeyedude ... I don't think a full rack will be a big enough circle to make it around the top of the vortex (I could be wrong)...Think it might be to close to the heat on the inside of the ribs... I'm thinking it won't work out as well as the singles get heat from all sides... this in turn is what makes them cook faster... But Hey... If you have a vortex, give it a try and let us know how it went...
I do not, that is why I threw that out there. Been throwing around the idea of getting a weber though, just not sure where I would be putting it.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
I got curious when BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma posted about this. If this is the latest fad then sign me up. I too will be trying this in the very near future. Been looking for an excuse to vortex something so thanks guys. They look great.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
I got curious when BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma posted about this. If this is the latest fad then sign me up. I too will be trying this in the very near future. Been looking for an excuse to vortex something so thanks guys. They look great.

I do these all the time now. I really love them cold the next day. These where last weeks.

IMG_20240420_162953047_HDR.jpg

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
I’m going to defrost a rack of spareribs tonight! I’m trying this Saturday!

Let’s get ready for the weekend boys and girls!

Banjo man out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky