True Dry Cured Bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1707610619675.png

Inhale white pepper - Check

That white pepper will do all that for sure. It’s the worst mixing sausage and I always sneeze but it’s only a couple times, but then once all incorporated it smells delicious. So worth it.

New adventures are fun. Ride along. We love this bacon and I think if you are a dry rub maker you will too. It’s the bacon from when I was a kid, except that bacon most always had the skin on in slab form.

Reactions: DougE and nlife
OK Eric, that looks and sounds great, now you've sent me in a new direction. No flipping, just meat side down for 2 weeks? Pepper and garlic on one side or all sides?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
OK Eric, that looks and sounds great, now you've sent me in a new direction. No flipping, just meat side down for 2 weeks? Pepper and garlic on one side or all sides?
Just meat side down Charles. Moisture doesn’t move well through fat cap or the fat side of a belly or fresh side. So rub it down and go meat side down so that the maximum amount of moisture can be removed. It’s really not a lot but it’s enough. Don’t flip, we are not in a bag here. Just stay meat side down all the way.

Along for the ride.
Good side bar on pepper. I found the same as indaswamp indaswamp posted. Flavor versus harshness in black or white. Our grinders have mixed and white only. Daughter is sensitive to straight black pepper, but she loves a medley.
I bag my dry brines. 3-4 weeks in the fridge might be too much drying due to my lower salt cures.

Along for the ride.
Good side bar on pepper. I found the same as indaswamp indaswamp posted. Flavor versus harshness in black or white. Our grinders have mixed and white only. Daughter is sensitive to straight black pepper, but she loves a medley.
I bag my dry brines. 3-4 weeks in the fridge might be too much drying due to my lower salt cures.
I could not recommend anything here John. Your salt is low. That said, you need low fridge temps too, and I would say that fridge temp is what covers your “6” so that being on the table, if I were you I would do a combination of bag and air dry. Two weeks in a bag and two weeks naked. Or go the other way and do two weeks naked and two weeks bagged. The time overall necessities the mixture. The drying process though is free and develops flavor for sure.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Thanks
This year, I'll give it a try. Limited fridge and freezer space down here. Got 15# of pork butt to process tomorrow and the fridge is full. Going to make a batch of your chorizo recipe, my way.
Back north, We have 2 refrigerators and I is mine. Wife needs permission to add anything to my space. I'll get a slab and split to try each piece with alternate methods.

Here we are at a week. The belly is firm, slightly drying on some edges. The odd surface look is the white pepper and garlic cover. I only got 2 drops of liquid off this slab. Most of the moisture extraction evaporates before dripping off. You see it in the bag because it has nowhere to go. It’s coming along nicely and smells fantastic. Back in the fridge for another week.

IMG_1867.jpeg

There was a fleeting moment where I thought I would give this a try with my most recent batch, but I'm using the kitchen fridge. I'd be worried that my son or wife would end up knocking something onto it at some point.

I'm looking forward to the results!

I was hoping to smoke some today, but the weather has other ideas... Looks like snow and rain for the next few days coupled with another cold snap.

I may have to bite the bullet and hotsmoke on the Traeger instead

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky