Bacon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pass me a plate of that breakfast RS. The bacon as well as the eggs look real good.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Retired Spook
Cooked low and slow the bacon tastes very nice. Perfect saltiness without being too much or too little but next time I might add a bit more sugar. I used organic dark brown sugar and I do not know if that makes a difference but maybe a little later today or tomorrow I will do some rudimentary math and compare the quantity of sugar from diggingdog to the quantity in Rytek Kutas's book and see where we are at.

This bacon is very good but I must admit that it isn't bowling me over the way Rytek Kutas's recipe has in the past - but there are other factors that could be affecting my taste such as old age and Rx drugs...

I will be relying on a friend that will be getting some of this, for a more objective opinion. He isn't old yet and has always loved the bacon I have made in the past so much so that he bugs me to make some every "winter," which is more like late spring here in the Ninth Circle of hell...

So, we'll see...

IMG_2252.jpg

Last edited:
Just going to say you know how to do a proper "fried egg" crispy edges and runny yoke. I noticed the first pic but seeing in the second means you know how to repeat it!

Cooked low and slow the bacon tastes very nice. Perfect saltiness without being too much or too little but next time I might add a bit more sugar. I used organic dark brown sugar and I do not know if that makes a difference but maybe a little later today or tomorrow I will do some rudimentary math and compare the quantity of sugar from diggingdog to the quantity in Rytek Kutas's book and see where we are at.

This bacon is very good but I must admit that it isn't bowling me over the way Rytek Kutas's recipe has in the past - but there are other factors that could be affecting my taste such as old age and Rx drugs...

I will be relying on a friend that will be getting some of this, for a more objective opinion. He isn't old yet and has always loved the bacon I have made in the past so much so that he bugs me to make some every "winter," which is more like late spring here in the Ninth Circle of hell...

So, we'll see...

View attachment 686071
Man that looks good!

Seems like there is some more fun bacon experimenting in your future. As of now Salt, sugar, and cure#1 are just about the minimal ingredients to do a cure so the sky is the limit on how you want to adjust things, add things, or make various versions of bacon.
I found doing about 70% Apple and 30% Hickory was my favorite smoke flavoring with the cure you have going on so even just a change of wood and wood ratio's can make things interesting!

I was able to take LEM's Jalapeno Bacon cure and figure it out to where I really enjoy it as an off the shelf jalapeno option.
I would someday like to do a good black pepper one which I don't think would be too hard but I know these things take a few iterations to dial in so maybe someday I'll work on it.

This stuff is lots of fun... lots of tasty fun :D

OK after driving myself mental for a few months on this - I dug out an old Windows 7 laptop and started it up and I FOUND my old tried and true bacon recipe!!! And it was NOT a Rytek Kutas recipe. Old age is a ...

For 5-lbs of belly
½-cup salt
½-cup brown sugar
Honey - to coat
1-tsp InstaCure#1
Refrigerate 7-days – flip after 3-days
Rinse / refrigerate / smoke 4-hours @ <160degrees.

Now I am going to make some (1.65% salt adjusted) bacon...

Last edited:
OK after driving myself mental for a few months on this - I dug out an old Windows 7 laptop and started it up and I FOUND my old tried and true bacon recipe!!! And it was NOT a Rytek Kutas recipe. Old age is a ...
LOL, ain't that the truth? Lately I've been discovering that some things that I know to be a fact, aren't. Like so-and-so was in a certain movie. Things like that.

LOL, ain't that the truth? Lately I've been discovering that some things that I know to be a fact, aren't. Like so-and-so was in a certain movie. Things like that.
It is really eye-opining to have become one of those old guys from my childhood, that could not remember ****! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: mneeley490
Hmmmm an old post I found...

For 5-lbs of belly
½-cup salt
½-cup brown sugar
Honey - to coat
1-tsp InstaCure#1
Refrigerate 7-days – flip after 3-days
Rinse / refrigerate / smoke 4-hours @ <160degrees.

Now I am going to make some (1.65% salt adjusted) bacon...
There you go!

So basically more sugar if your old recipe was equal parts salt and sugar. And then coat with honey at some point.

That will be a much different tasting bacon and I bet it is great!
Also what wood are you smoking with?

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out :D

There you go!

So basically more sugar if your old recipe was equal parts salt and sugar. And then coat with honey at some point.

That will be a much different tasting bacon and I bet it is great!
Also what wood are you smoking with?

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out :D
I've always smoked my bacon with hickory. I often omitted the honey and as I went along I started adding granulated garlic and granulated onion to the recipe. It was, however, always a little too salty and I would soak the slab in ice water for a bit after curing to cut back on the salt.

Going forward I will use my old recipe but I will adjust for 1.65% salt as the salt in this last slab is perfect. Also, I am going to revert to a lower smoking temperature and a lower finished temperature as I would do in the past - 4-hours at ≤165-degrees.

Really frustrating because I used to be able to recall the recipe from memory and I guess those days are gone 🤬, but I did want to try this more precise cure/salt/sugar calculation scheme to satisfy my own curiosity. I used that old recipe for 10-years before I discovered this site a couple years ago.

Thank you for all of your help!

PS. Without listing a bunch of confusing information the difference between digging dog and my old recipe in terms of salt and sugar, is substantial, but the cure is very close to the same. It is interesting that the first thing I noticed about this slab of bacon was the lack of sweetness...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky