Trimming Pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron eb

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Baltimore
Is there a need to trim some of the fat off or a pork shoulder. That is one thick fat layer with skin.

it doesn't seem like rub would get through to the meat.

The skin should be removed and I only mess with trimming fat if it is more than 1/2" thick. Remove the fat and Smoke the skin, it can be used to flavor a variety of soups and beans, made into Cracklin's or the Dog will love you for the treat...JJ

I try to trim as much fat as I can off of my shoulders.  There is plenty of fat inside that will have to  render as well.  I usually get compliments from people that are eating my PP for the first time about how there's not a lot of fat in it.  I don't think I ever recall anyone complaining about it.  Besides that way you can get more rub close to the meat.

I also usually pick out any fat chunks that I come across when I am pulling it too. I also take the the juice from the foil and dump it into grease separator to remove the as much grease and fat as I can before pouring it back on after I pull it.

Hope this helps

Reactions: novadoc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky