Trimming Pork shoulder

Discussion in 'Pork' started by ron eb, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ron eb

ron eb Meat Mopper

Is there a need to trim some of the fat off or a pork shoulder. That is one thick fat layer with skin.

it doesn't seem like rub would get through to the meat.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

The skin should be removed and I only mess with trimming fat if it is more than 1/2" thick. Remove the fat and Smoke the skin, it can be used to flavor a variety of soups and beans, made into Cracklin's or the Dog will love you for the treat...JJ

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I leave the fat cap on and smoke with it facing up. If you want to trim it you certainly can.

4. rowdyrawhide

rowdyrawhide Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

I try to trim as much fat as I can off of my shoulders.  There is plenty of fat inside that will have to  render as well.  I usually get compliments from people that are eating my PP for the first time about how there's not a lot of fat in it.  I don't think I ever recall anyone complaining about it.  Besides that way you can get more rub close to the meat.

I also usually pick out any fat chunks that I come across when I am pulling it too. I also take the the juice from the foil and dump it into grease separator to remove the as much grease and fat as I can before pouring it back on after I pull it.

Hope this helps

novadoc likes this.