• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tri-tip roast for pulled beef

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
This was a Morten's pre-seasoned tri-tip roast.Done in the MES with a 12" tube of apple/hickory dust.

Usually not a fan of anything pre-seasoned but this wasn't bad at all.Put on a Portuguese bulkie roll with just a little bbq sauce.Sorry but forgot to take a pic of the actual sangie.

Attachments

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks good . I bet that has great flavor too .

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks great. I’d have never thought tri tip will pull that good.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Aldis still had some so I picked up a couple of more for future cooks.Will do this again for my buddy's Memorial day party.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
looks good, I usually make them medium rare tho.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I've grilled/smoked tri-tips like steak, fajitas, roast beef, and brisket. It never crossed my mind to try pulled beef with them. Hmmm...

negolien

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 1, 2020
No one's gonna mention the fact that looks like no tri tip ever seen by working eye balls?? Lookin for some details lol :<)

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
No one's gonna mention the fact that looks like no tri tip ever seen by working eye balls?? Lookin for some details lol :<)
The first thing that came to mind was that isn't a T.T. and T.T. doesn't pull because there isn't enough fat to keep it moist. Sure you can braise them down in a crock pot to shred, but they won't pull.
This is a tri tip.
1621340671399.png

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
The package says tri-tip roast.Here in southern New England anything with the word tri-tip on it is a rarity so when you see it you buy it.

This is what I bought:
I'm guessing that they haven't quite figured out how to trim them properly yet.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great Norm!!
And a real nice Job too!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Bear

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
I'm guessing that they haven't quite figured out how to trim them properly yet.
This had quite a bit of fat.By the end of the smoke the pan in my MES was half full of rendered fat and that was after a little trimming to boot!

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Looks Great Norm!!
And a real nice Job too!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear,it really was pretty decent but as I'm beginning to learn that cut really wasn't a tri-tip.Now to figure out what the heck a tri-tip roast is!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks Bear,it really was pretty decent but as I'm beginning to learn that cut really wasn't a tri-tip.Now to figure out what the heck a tri-tip roast is!

LOL---I can't help you---Around here Tri Tip is about as common as a BigFoot.

Bear

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
It couldv'e been the wider end of the T.T. roast where the butcher....butcher'd it and cut the tail end off.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.