A grilled Tri Tip short story by RS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
2.6-lb HEB Prime Tri Tip, Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and a dusting of smoked paprika, grilled over post oak and mesquite coals.

Not as fierce as my usual fires; Tri Tip requires a little more finesse than a steak. 12-minutes each side and then flip it about every 2 or 3-minutues until it hit 125-degrees.
IMG_2106.JPG

Nice sear...
IMG_2107.JPG

Relaxing for 10-minutes.
IMG_2108.JPG

And perfect, wonderful slices of Tri Tip. Tender, juicy, perfect crust and superb flavor! Awesome.
IMG_2109.JPG

The end.

Nothing beats the flavor of beef cooked over a hardwood fire - it brings me back to our hunter-gatherer roots... :emoji_thumbsup:
Yeah buddy. I knuckle drag for flame roasted/grilled meat. Heck I’ll even eat yard bird if it’s been drug through the fire. It’s all the difference, nothing like the fire.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks done to perfection Spook, nice work! I picked up a quad of choice tritips today for $3.97lb, get another four tomorrow. I'll do a 50-50 grind of rib roast and tritip for my burger meat this year, about 25 pounds, I deserve it! RAY

Just enough words to flesh out the pictures for us visually inclined folks. I'd be knuckle dragging with the others for a hunk of that.

Jim

Sliced some up thin, let it rest on the counter for a bit, then "warmed em up" in a carbon steel skillet in a little bit of butter, and had it with an egg for breakfast...

I am sure that our hunter-gatherer ancestors did not have carbon steel skillets, but nevertheless, soooo good I did not want to eat the egg! 🫡

Thank all you gentlemen for all the compliments!

Reactions: Redicans
TT are one of our favorites, and you did that one proud RS. Unfortunately they're also considered a treat for us due to availability.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky