TRAEGER GRILLS!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kerstingm

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Ohio
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE PIECES OF CRAP GRILLS
I've felt with nothing but issues for going on 5 years now. Today was just another bad experience with it. Meet on, would not hit temp, over temp, flame out, meat ruined.
I am totally done with this piece of crap. Going back to my $40 Brinkman, I know I get quality meat off it.
Rant over!!!

the simple way is often the best way

Something I’ve been pondering about here lately. Technology is great and it’s a good thing to keep up with the times, but there is something to be said about having a smoker where the only 2 things you need is wood and oxygen to run it. No stress about replacing parts or ruined reputation when cooking dinner , cooking for events, or cooking for competition. Luckily there are such devices that are both simple, reliable, and easy to use (gravity feeds and insulated verticals). I’m not downing smokers that are gas, electric, or pellet by the way as I admire them and may get one. Just something to consider and something I have been thinking a lot about here lately.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE PIECES OF CRAP GRILLS
I've felt with nothing but issues for going on 5 years now. Today was just another bad experience with it. Meet on, would not hit temp, over temp, flame out, meat ruined.
I am totally done with this piece of crap. Going back to my $40 Brinkman, I know I get quality meat off it.
Rant over!!!

I just joined and love the site but just wanted to give my input. I’ve had 3 Traegers (I have 2 now) and I love them. It sucks that you are having troubles with them. I have never had an issue with any of mine. Mind if I ask what the problem is/was? I’d be glad to help anyway I can.

I just joined and love the site but just wanted to give my input. I’ve had 3 Traegers (I have 2 now) and I love them. It sucks that you are having troubles with them. I have never had an issue with any of mine. Mind if I ask what the problem is/was? I’d be glad to help anyway I can.

I have no doubt Traeger can make a fine product...I just didn't get one of them, and the only help I got from Traeger was the suggestion to stir the pellets in the hopper every hour or two with a wooden spoon. That doesn't sound like "set it and forget it".

If you want to know what issues I called with (Twice) that prompted the wooden spoon solution, read here, post 18 and 20. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/2nd-traeger-flame-out.277395/

Reactions: kerstingm
Ha. Yeah that’s a BS response. No machine, Traeger or otherwise, should have to be stirred. I’ll look over the thread and see if I have any advice or insight. Thanks for the direction.

Reactions: negolien

I've had TX Elite for almost 5 years now, I've had nothing but issues with crazy temp swings and never actually hitting set temp especially higher temps. It's never seen over 400 when set on high, it has gotten worse over this this past summer. Treager sent me a new Pro controller under warranty, it made it even worse, they sent me a new temp probe it didn't help at all. I adjusted my chimney cap down to almost closed and it actually hit 410 on high.
I'm on my second grill, my 1st one over heated and tweaked the auger and locked it up 1st month I had it. New grill hasn't been much better, just learned to deal with it.

I agree with you when it works it works great and my food comes out amazing, lately it has done anything but screw up and ruin my food.

I have no doubt Traeger can make a fine product...I just didn't get one of them, and the only help I got from Traeger was the suggestion to stir the pellets in the hopper every hour or two with a wooden spoon. That doesn't sound like "set it and forget it".

If you want to know what issues I called with (Twice) that prompted the wooden spoon solution, read here, post 18 and 20. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/2nd-traeger-flame-out.277395/

This is crazy, what kind of a fix it response is that?

I've been a maintenance mechanic in the plastic industry for over 30 years, I know temp controllers. Treager technology SUCKS

Reactions: BC Buck
What just happened trying to warm up food just to see how it would work.
How can a FLAME UP ON FIRE SMOKE PUT only show 106 temp?

Again any new members looking to get a pellet grill DO NOT GET A TREAGER 20180709_195836.jpg 20180709_195836.jpg 20180709_195853.jpg 20180709_195916.jpg

Try an after market controller with PID, auto restart and programmable cook cycles and learn to Love your grill (you can still hate Traeger I do) and let the guy know where wooden spoons belong and it's not in a grill.

I have read up on most of the after market on DIY modifications to my grill, I've been putting them off while it is still under warranty. At this point I do not have a choice but to rebuild from the ground up, after the melt down last night I'm sure everything is trashed in it.

Had Traegers for 16 years with no issues whatsoever. Now running a Select Pro. Consistent temps with only about 15 degree temp swings. No flame-outs. Smoked some salmon this weekend...held temp at 160 - 170 for 3.5 hrs. Turned out great!
20180707_161135.jpg

Reactions: DatilPepper
So Treager is replacing my complete pellet box and fire tube for the second time, still refusing to replace my lemon of a grill. We shall see how this goes.

Trust me I understand there are a lot there that are running flawlessly, we all know there are lemons that make it out to us. It happens, I can care less about getting a new grill, I just want one that works as advertised

I completely understand! I have a boat that is kind of the same thing. All that I hear about is how great this brand is but I have the lemon that leaves me stranded every time I go out. I know how frustrating it is. I'm kind of surprised that they just won't replace the whole thing. I think they might try this and if this doesn't work, that's their last resort.
I see that you are in Ohio. I wish I was closer and could help out more. They really do work well and I hate to see someone going through what I'm going through on my boat (I'm two drinks away from sinking it).

I took mine back to Cabela's for a full refund. Not buying anything else right now. If I buy a pellet grill again, it will be after much more research.

Reactions: kerstingm and Ishi
I took mine back to Cabela's for a full refund. Not buying anything else right now. If I buy a pellet grill again, it will be after much more research.
I can’t says I blame you at all with all the issues you had!
Sit back and be glad your lemon is gone.
Take this for what its worth. When I decided to give my son my pellet grill I had a particular company in mind for my new PG.

As much as I dislike Facebook I joined three PG groups on FB and just sat back and watched all the posts for about two months to see what issues they were having and how CS handled their problems.

Now on the flip side these companies say they have no ties to these groups..... bunk I sayo_O
When to many people start saying they have the same problems BAM the post is deleted. If you check is frequently you will see these posts before they get deleted. Good luck on your search!

If I buy new I will get RecTex!!!! 1st PG o started following, I have yet to see a bad review on their grills,

We will see how this works out, Treager still fighting me on a refund and or full replacement (tired of doing their wrenching, not that I can't wrench)
Just got my replacement guts. 20180717_174816.jpg

Reactions: BC Buck
I completely understand! I have a boat that is kind of the same thing. All that I hear about is how great this brand is but I have the lemon that leaves me stranded every time I go out. I know how frustrating it is. I'm kind of surprised that they just won't replace the whole thing. I think they might try this and if this doesn't work, that's their last resort.
I see that you are in Ohio. I wish I was closer and could help out more. They really do work well and I hate to see someone going through what I'm going through on my boat (I'm two drinks away from sinking it).
Trust me I've been a 12 pack past blowing it up, I'm not about that, I just want it to work as advertised, I used it twice this weekend and it worked perfectly. I didn't do anything different. After almost 5 years I know how to do my start up. If I didn't than just shoot me!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky