Question???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw 12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Waiting on my smoke tube to come in . Going camping in a few hours for the weekend doing some leg quarters on the nexgrill two burner gas. I grabbed some cherry pellets anyone ever use them in aluminum foil? If so expirence with it? I was going to light them with a torch then blow out flame see if it would work unfortunately my pit boss is to big to lug around other. im not a fan of gas grills at all was trying to add some smoke without a tube

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I use a smoking tube and a smoke box on my Q grill quite often . And I have before used just a wrapped in foil pellets and or chips.
I like Cherry it is mild smoke , my wife likes it better. lol
I would double wrap the foil and a few holes

Enjoy , hope that answered your question.

David

If you have a spot to put your foil pouch with the pellets Just put over the flame , I find they will light on their own . Y ou might have to start a few minutes early so they light . Then put on your food .
Good luck , post up your meal if you can .

David

I use a smoking tube and a smoke box on my Q grill quite often . And I have before used just a wrapped in foil pellets and or chips.
I like Cherry it is mild smoke , my wife likes it better. lol
I would double wrap the foil and a few holes

Enjoy , hope that answered your question.

David
Thank yall for the info! I didnt wnt to buy a box as i have a tube coming in from amazon

I hope you did not miss under stand , as i type fast and sloppy :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

I meant when I did not have either I would double wrap the pellets or chips in foil and on the flame area of the grill.

David

I hope you did not miss under stand , as i type fast and sloppy :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

I meant when I did not have either I would double wrap the pellets or chips in foil and on the flame area of the grill.

David
I understood thanks

I’m new here and not an expert by any means. However I don’t think trying to burn aluminum while food is cooking would be very safe. I know we use wrapping meat but not at a very high temp to where it would break down. I have used a glass bowl to do what you’re doing before though. By the way the bowl will be dedicated to this task forever after the first use. I put the loaded bowl in the microwave for 4minutes before it light it. Lights so much easier

I don’t think trying to burn aluminum while food is cooking would be very safe.

Hi I did not say to burn the foil pack , just over the area where the flame is . The grill for smoking would not be in the 400 plus temps . Maybe 225 - 300 But that's me.
He asked about pellets for smoking in a pouch so the temps would be lower.
You maybe are right if putting foil right in a flame to burn at high temps.
And this from USDA says
Generally, aluminum foil can withstand temperatures up to 500°F (260°C) without breaking, melting or igniting. However, it is recommended to keep the temperature below 420°F (215°C) to prevent the foil from losing its strength and shape.

Hope this makes sense

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky