Tired of grissly steaks. Is beef tenderloin a good choice ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

red sled

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2017
Fareway has beef tenderloin on sale for $12.99 / lb. which is $2 per lb. less than Costco. So I'm wondering... this is the really tender part of a T-Bone steak, and the same as Filet Mignion ? Am I correct ?

My teeth aren't as good as they used to be and many of the steaks we bring home, although looking great, end up with too much trimming for grissle. I don't mind paying more for a REALLY GOOD, juicy, tender steak. So is beef tenderloin a good choice, and how thick or thin should I have them cut it (it's free) ?

Yes it's same as Filet Mignon, Yes it's a very good cut of meat, Cut it into 2 to 3 inch steaks. The narrower end is the most tender.

Enjoy it.

Chris

Chris has you covered there.

Best cut of steak that you can buy. Best when it is rare-medium rare. $12.99 lb not a bad price.

You can smoke it, grill it, pan sear it and then stick it in the oven till you hit 125. Whatever method you use I like to get mine to 125 then pull it...carryover heat usually gets you to 130. I also like to put a little bit of boursin cheese or a glob of butter on top while it is still hot.

Good luck! Got me hungry now!

Yes, it actually is Filet Mignon, except Filet Mignon is usually sliced before cooking, whereas Beef Tenderloin is Cooked before slicing. At least that's the way I look at it.

Around here it usually costs about $17 per pound.
I only bought it twice in the last 5 years---Once it was $10.99, and the other time it was $7.99.

This was my favorite one:
Smoked Beef Tenderloin (On Sale)

Bear

20180303_175639.jpg

Beef tloin. Smoke it and then sear it. DELICIOUS! This one went a little too long but still juicy and delicious.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Yep I agree with the above, not as much flavor as a ribeye, but there is nothing more tender!
Al

Very tender no question about it, easy to cook but after eating my aged rib steaks in the last year or so i find tenderloin bland. I still buy it when on sale (just got some for 8.99/lb -canadian)...my family likes it more than rib.

There are some good YouTube videos on how to break down a whole tenderloin either for steaks or to smoke/roast whole. you need to get the silver skin off and some of the side meat. when you slice it it a very flavorful and tender cut. I h bought two right before Christmas because food lion had them for 7.99/lb whole. I butchered them an grilled them with a little garlic salt and black pepper. they were wonderful.
beef tenderloin.jpg

If you can get one at a price you like get two or three, you wont be disappointed!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac

Thanks everyone for the input ! We brought one home to try, had it cut into steaks and a 3 lb. roast. Already peeled and cut at no extra cost. Looking forward to trying it this weekend on the grill (my wife says) lol. I might talk her into letting me smoke the roast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky