Beef Clod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RickNessly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Minnesota
so...I did an event for the 4th for my church and mainly did pulled pork shoulder/butt...about 75lbs. I was looking for an inexpensive beef option and have noticed both the beef clod and beef chuck roll at the Costco business center. The Clod's were supposed to be 32lb average, but they had a 20lb one, so I grabbed it on a whim. I figured I had enough pork to feed everyone, but maybe the Clods ($4/lb) might be okay to slice or at least the pointy part looked like I could shred it.

SPOG on the beef and piggies rub on the pork.

I ran them all together @250 (usually I'm 230-240, but was nervous with all that meat that it would really go slow)...started them in smoker at 3am (smoker was up to temp already), wrapped them in foil around noon (I used Waygu beef tallow on the beef). I was hoping to hit around 203 @3pm...202 on both @3pm, so I pulled them and threw them in coolers until 6:30 DT.

I've smoked a ton of meat...and a ton of brisket...and maybe hit on Brisket 50% of the time...it's always edible, but not up to par. Points are good...flats are dry and I use all the tricks. So...Beef is not my strong point. I've even done Beef Chuck for pulling and it's just okay.

When I pulled them out of the cooler, the pork was great...not sure I've ever had issues with shoulder/butt's. I told everyone...I've got this beef, but I'm really not even sure what I bought...but, I gave it the old college try.

The beef...was...outstanding...it jiggled like the pork and fell apart as I took it out of the foil and dropped it in the pan. Every inch of it shredded like butter. I couldn't believe it...after all these years...shredded beef... I have to believe I could have made a crap load of burnt ends. My boys said it was one of the best things I've ever made.

My question for the forum...was I just lucky or do Clods turn out that way?...Brisket never came close to this. I'm also wondering if I just take it to 180 it might be amazing sliced.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 128
It does look really good. Rich chopsaw chopsaw has done a clod or two hopefully he'll chime in, but I don't think you got lucky. I think you nailed it.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
HGYDX.jpg

The shoulder clod is a really great piece of meat for barbecue. It's below the chuck roll and above the brisket. If you have ever had a flat iron, it is one of the muscle groups in the clod. the chuck tender is another. Cooking them whole to very tender and sliceable state is another option, and in some BBQ joints in Texas they cook them hot and cook to medium for slices. And for hamburger, the clod is a little better than grinding the chuck roll.

Shoulder clods are my go to when doing a LOT of beef. I've even broken them down and got nice flat iron steaks out of them, and a couple of nice roasts for two. Rest of it ground it down for hamburger meat.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
You nailed it! I've done quite a few clods. Our local GFS used to carry them and the price was always great. FAR less loss than brisket. Clod was the main attraction of Texas BBQ long before brisket came on the scene. I think maybe it's still a specialty at Kreuz Market. Our GFS hasn't had them in awhile. I usually sliced the one end and pulled the other. Cool article on it here https://www.southernliving.com/food...l Texas BBQ Star,individual cuts in the 1960s.

Last edited:
..was I just lucky or do Clods turn out that way?
I'd say your knowledge and experience shined through .
Here's the break down of the clod . Great cuts of beef come from the clod .
The petite tender is one of the best cuts of beef in my opinion . Comes from the clod . You only get one per side . I buy them in packs of 5 .
I have several threads on Petite tenders .

I'd say you nailed that . Happy it worked for you , but like said above , you know what it takes to make it right .

I'd say your knowledge and experience shined through .
Here's the break down of the clod . Great cuts of beef come from the clod .
The petite tender is one of the best cuts of beef in my opinion . Comes from the clod . You only get one per side . I buy them in packs of 5 .
I have several threads on Petite tenders .

I'd say you nailed that . Happy it worked for you , but like said above , you know what it takes to make it right .
thanks...to all...it's still a bit of a mystery since the clod seems to be leaner than brisket...which would make me think I could shred a brisket easier than a clod, but this clod came apart like it was a pork butt.

You nailed it! I've done quite a few clods. Our local GFS used to carry them and the price was always great. FAR less loss than brisket. Clod was the main attraction of Texas BBQ long before brisket came on the scene. I think maybe it's still a specialty at Kreuz Market. Our GFS hasn't had them in awhile. I usually sliced the one end and pulled the other. Cool article on it here https://www.southernliving.com/food/bbq/shoulder-clod-texass-forgotten-bbq-star#:~:text=An Original Texas BBQ Star,individual cuts in the 1960s.
great article...I think I'll call them shoulders from now on. I had heard/read a bit that Clods were done in the SW still, but were definitely old school in TX.

Reactions: jcam222
so...I did an event for the 4th for my church and mainly did pulled pork shoulder/butt...about 75lbs. I was looking for an inexpensive beef option and have noticed both the beef clod and beef chuck roll at the Costco business center. The Clod's were supposed to be 32lb average, but they had a 20lb one, so I grabbed it on a whim. I figured I had enough pork to feed everyone, but maybe the Clods ($4/lb) might be okay to slice or at least the pointy part looked like I could shred it.

SPOG on the beef and piggies rub on the pork.

I ran them all together @250 (usually I'm 230-240, but was nervous with all that meat that it would really go slow)...started them in smoker at 3am (smoker was up to temp already), wrapped them in foil around noon (I used Waygu beef tallow on the beef). I was hoping to hit around 203 @3pm...202 on both @3pm, so I pulled them and threw them in coolers until 6:30 DT.

I've smoked a ton of meat...and a ton of brisket...and maybe hit on Brisket 50% of the time...it's always edible, but not up to par. Points are good...flats are dry and I use all the tricks. So...Beef is not my strong point. I've even done Beef Chuck for pulling and it's just okay.

When I pulled them out of the cooler, the pork was great...not sure I've ever had issues with shoulder/butt's. I told everyone...I've got this beef, but I'm really not even sure what I bought...but, I gave it the old college try.

The beef...was...outstanding...it jiggled like the pork and fell apart as I took it out of the foil and dropped it in the pan. Every inch of it shredded like butter. I couldn't believe it...after all these years...shredded beef... I have to believe I could have made a crap load of burnt ends. My boys said it was one of the best things I've ever made.

My question for the forum...was I just lucky or do Clods turn out that way?...Brisket never came close to this. I'm also wondering if I just take it to 180 it might be amazing sliced.
I was asked to do a cook for a large crowd by a friend and when I got to the site was handed a 30# clod and asked if I could add it to the cook. I had never heard of this cut before but said "No Problem". It too was excellent and there were no left overs. Cooked it 135 in the deepest part and sliced it. Great cut for the smoker.

Great looking Clod! Nice work! I love clod for making a lot of BBQ beef. I usually separate the flat iron and the petite tender off the clod and smoke those for slices. What is left is usually for chopped beef. Great underutilized cut outside of Texas IMO....and you nailed it!

Reactions: RickNessly
NAILED IT and congrats on the ride! Been down the clod rabbit hole and from what I read it is in fact a "no fail brisket". Some serve it sliced, some pulled. Apparently good either way. I think it is more marbled on the interior wheras brisket has more surface fat something like that. jcam222 jcam222 Gotr me fired up for some! I am DETERMINED to find some near us. GFS Lakewood has them. Curiuous if our local GFS can order it in maybe?

I have never tried clod before but after seeing yours I think I need to try it. Nicely done!

Reactions: RickNessly
Curiuous if our local GFS can order it in maybe?
I'm sure they can . Might have to get them by the case though .
Go back post 7 and click on the shoulder clod link . From there scroll down the right side of the clod page and you'll see Industry IDS . That number next to IMPS/NAMP is what you would use to order a beef shoulder clod . 114 .

Reactions: zwiller
I'm sure they can . Might have to get them by the case though .
Go back post 7 and click on the shoulder clod link . From there scroll down the right side of the clod page and you'll see Industry IDS . That number next to IMPS/NAMP is what you would use to order a beef shoulder clod . 114 .
THANKS. Was thinking it would something like that. Location that has them isn't really that far from me and we head that way often. Mind is kinda blown. Just watched this and for some reason I can actually SEE the cuts and seems pretty easy to do! Still haven't figured out to break down a pork butt... Well sorta. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky