The Oklahoma Onion Burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ForensicBBQ

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 21, 2021
Midwest USA
Yeah - I didn't use the smoker - I get it.. but I had to show the Blackstone some love.

I wanted to re-create the grease-bomb-diner-burger of old, and I went on the search. This introduced me to the “Oklahoma Onion Burger”. Did my research like any good grillmaster does, and this was the result. It wasn’t the best – yet – but I know what’s needed for next time. Want that thin burger that’s overpowered by the onion – let’s go!

oob5.png

oob9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
easiest way, IMO, is to pre-smash the burger with onions between folded or two pieces of parchment paper. then just slapping it on the grill, onions down, and peel off the paper after a few seconds. the burger grease helps prevent the onions from charring, as well as traps in all that oniony goodness.

there's always the white castle way, too

Reactions: ForensicBBQ
A griddle can never replicate a well seasoned flat top for producing the "burger with" as a fried burger with fried onions is called around here.
Your onions just need more cooking in the beef fat for my taste

The key to a Killer Onion Burger...Get yourself a good Mandolin and Shave the Onions Fine! Your burgers look good but you need finer onions and more of them...JJ
This big time, just make sure to use the guard and a good pair of cut proof gloves, mandolins scare the crap out of me. I watched my mom cut the living hell out of three of her fingers using one. After that I went and bought the best pair of Level 5 Kevlar cut proof gloves I could find for her and me. Heck, I use them for cleaning and processing fish and game as well as anything that is even a little bit sketchy like breaking down and cleaning my meat slicer. (that blade will really get you as well).

Reactions: chef jimmyj
This big time, just make sure to use the guard and a good pair of cut proof gloves, mandolins scare the crap out of me. I watched my mom cut the living hell out of three of her fingers using one. After that I went and bought the best pair of Level 5 Kevlar cut proof gloves I could find for her and me. Heck, I use them for cleaning and processing fish and game as well as anything that is even a little bit sketchy like breaking down and cleaning my meat slicer. (that blade will really get you as well).

Haha, read my write-up and you'll see I have a nice mandolin-scar - proving your point!

• Wow
Reactions: forktender
Haha, read my write-up and you'll see I have a nice mandolin-scar - proving your point!
I nicked myself before I bought the gloves now I won't even wash the thing without gloving up same goes for washing my meat slicer.

Great post, thanks for sharing! I have friends and family in OK and they always made the best onion fried burger. I went back home and tried to make this on my own, but it just wasn’t right. I swore that the next time I went down there I would do some investigation into technique. I found out it’s all about the prep of the onions that I missed.
At least an hour prior to cooking, start by finely slicing a large onion, and placing slices in a bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tsp salt and allow to sit, mixing occasionally for about an hour. This will help draw out excess moisture and help the onions to brown faster. You need to make sure your slices are thin, because the onions are only going to have a few minutes to cook, and if they're too chunky they may remain raw in the middle.
This made a huge difference in the finished product, just simple science.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky