Stuffed peppers on half shells

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
Okay, my wife used to make stuffed peppers even though she doesn’t like the pepper part. Now she’s dieting and me and the daughter used one of my 1.7# ground deer packs, 3 cups of rice 60 oz of tomato sauce and six peppers half shelled. The wife normally made them whole. Cooked 45 minutes and ten to melt and set cheese after. Baking temp 350

So they got dry. I am assuming the half shell allowed them to dry faster and needed a shorter cooking time. Anyone done half shells and what time temp are you using? Maybe a lower temp? It’s is all precooked and hot going to a parboiled pepper

Attachments

• 15670ADE-65A4-47BA-9F0A-707DEE65ECEE.jpeg
    15670ADE-65A4-47BA-9F0A-707DEE65ECEE.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 35
Still look pretty tasty. Since all the ingredients were hot when stuffed. A few minutes under the broiler to melt cheese and I think you would have been fine.

I think your fine with time and temp. I usually do mine in the halfs like this. But I cover with foil .....then the last few minuts uncover to brown up the tops a bit...... I do them on the smoker uncovered....when I do that I put about 1/4" of water right in the botom of the pan. Maybe a little more... And I wait to top with cheese until the end. All my stuffing is pre cooked but I do not parboil the peppers. I like to use the deep foil pans also. Keeps the foil off the tops of the peppers.

Just had these yesterday. Wife does ours in a crock with tomato sauce. This is one of the few things she does this way but she does all raw and cooks a few hours. Sounds like overcooking to me. I am brutally honest about food but my wife's stuffed peppers are stellar.

Maybe using precooked meat is the culprit? Is the plan to remove some of the fats first?

You can add cooked things (like rice) to raw meat as a filler, and when raw meat cooks the pepper also cooks and keeps the filling moist. There have been a bunch of threads lately about stuffed onions, which are similar to stuffed bell peppers, they come out really moist.
UaoPEE5.jpg

I stuff 1/2 poblanos for a bean and cheese filling that is low fat, but adding some lightly sautéed ground beef or pork works too.
mrLu5RZ.jpg

I think it was obviously too long and looking to see what other have done the same way. I'd prefer to not cover. The mix was wet in and dry out. SO I am thinking heat in pan, stuff shells 15 to 20 at most, add cheese and melt/brown. But was looking for what others have done that same way.

EDIT, meats were all precooked and were before when used whole. I think the half shells cook fast and don;t need the time and boiled the sauce out dry. (My opinion)

Reactions: zwiller
Just had these yesterday. Wife does ours in a crock with tomato sauce. This is one of the few things she does this way but she does all raw and cooks a few hours. Sounds like overcooking to me. I am brutally honest about food but my wife's stuffed peppers are stellar.
I agree, that is why I asked as looking for new time/temp settings before doing it again.

Reactions: zwiller
I stuff 1/2 poblanos for a bean and cheese filling that is low fat, but adding some lightly sautéed ground beef or pork works too.
View attachment 507991
WOAH WAYNE! That looks insanely good!

I think you have a good plan Rob for next time. Almost seems like the grill could work for them made that way. I might have to try them that way! My wife is CRAZY for stuffed peppers. Never had cheese on top of ours but ours are more of a Sunday Meal with mashed taters (and tomato sauce as gravy) type of deal.

Those look great! Just want to say that whenever I see your posts, its a reminder for me to check out your awesome blog. I just read and watched your walk-in-cooler post - so cool! Love that you made that without having to buy a $350 Coolbot

Reactions: archeryrob
Those look great! Just want to say that whenever I see your posts, its a reminder for me to check out your awesome blog. I just read and watched your walk-in-cooler post - so cool! Love that you made that without having to buy a $350 Coolbot
Thanks, if you read the comments some people have use two inkbirds instead of buying the more expensive Johnson Controls freeze sensor. I need to update more.

I've about had it with my smokehouse shelves as the metal grate never stays blackened like it would on a grill. One cooking/smoking of cured, salted meats and they are rusted up. Thinking about chnaging to expanded aluminum on the steel angle frame.

WOAH WAYNE! That looks insanely good!

Steven Raichlen recipe. Here is the first photo I saw on a ceramic grill forum at least 12 years ago and I was hooked. It's more of a technique because you can change up anything, and like I said even add some chorizo or ground pork from time to time. I've even made an Italian version.
nK06zou.jpg

SWEET. I have most of Raichlen's work. Will check it out. Learn something everyday...

I do poblanos stuffed on the half. I cook them on the pellet machine at 300* until 155* internal. Never a problem. Your look delicious. Rice is strange the way it can and does dry things out. One thing that seems to help is to fry the dry rice in a little oil before adding liquid to finish the rice. This step seems to make a huge difference. I think it may be the starch in the rice that makes it get dry and or sticky, but frying the rice dry does help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky