Cleveland BBQ-- Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
Is there anything that goes together better than sausage and football? I'm sure there is, but I am from Cleveland and sausage is our obsession.

I live in Tampa now and I have yet to find sausages as delicious as the ones we used to get at the historic West Side Market in Cleveland. I set out to recreate the Kielbasa I remembered when I was a kid and think I did fairly good job.

For the recipe I used:
-10 lbs of beef brisket
-12.5 lbs of pork shoulder
-40mm Hog Casings
-%4 Binder (High Heat No Fat Dry Milk)
-%2 Kosher Salt
-%.25 Instacure 1
-%10 Water
-%.5 Course Black Pepper
-%.5 Fresh Minced Garlic
-%.25 Marjoram
-%.25 Mustard Seed
-%.25 Ground Calabrian Peppers
-%.25 Mace
-%.15 White pepper
-%.15 Brown Sugar

The approximate ratio of protein to fat was 60/40. I love fatty sausage, and I am not ashamed about it. All the grinding, mixing and stuffing that I did occured with the meat under 34 degrees Fahrenheit. This ensured a good pebbly grind and further ensured fat didn't smear when mixed and stuffed.

For the grind I did a course grind with the pork and a fine grind with the beef. I did this because I wanted texture and contrast in the sausage.... Which I absolutely achieved.

I did not take any pictures of the grinding, mixing or stuffing because it just looks like ground meat and a meat slurry.... Not super exciting.

After grinding and mixing I left the meat slurry in the refrigerator overnight. I typically do this to maximize myoglobin extraction and allow all the flavors to settle in before I stuffed.

The next day I stuffed the casings and hung them all to dry overnight.

IMG_20231005_205617273.jpg

In the morning I began cold smoking the sausage in batches. Each batch got 12 hours of almond wood smoke. The chamber never went over 95 degrees fahrenheit.

IMG_20231007_081747052.jpg
Batch 1

IMG_20231006_125325993.jpg
Batch 2

Once the batches were done smoking I dropped them into a bucket of ice water and let them soak for 15 minutes, after their soak I wiped them down and hung them to bloom over night.

IMG_20231007_094323261.jpg

At this point the sausages were firm so I packaged and froze the ones I wasn't going to eat.

IMG_20231007_141332372.jpg

I was curious to see the cross-section of the sausage and what the two different sizes grinds looked like. So I chopped into two before cooking.

IMG_20231007_145502729.jpg

After cooking the sausage did not breakdown and was extremely juicy.

IMG_20231007_182135512.jpg

IMG_20231007_182154193.jpg

I have since made these sausages a couple of ways.... My wife did the photography for these.

159254.jpeg
Kielbasa done Cleveland style with peppers, onions, yellow mustard and Bertman stadium mustard.

IMG_20231009_145641472.jpg
Brussel sprouts, sausage, peppers and onions.
IMG_20231007_160925718.jpg
The best damn mustard in the history of the world....

Overall I am happy with how they turned out.

Brad

Nice work! And your recipe looks very legit to me. The grind is also authentic.
Thanks buddy. The binder is really the only break from tradition. I could have done without it, but I intend to drop these sausages into a chilli I'm working on and wanted to ensure that they didn't break apart.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Is there anything that goes together better than sausage and football? I'm sure there is, but I am from Cleveland and sausage is our obsession.

I live in Tampa now and I have yet to find sausages as delicious as the ones we used to get at the historic West Side Market in Cleveland. I set out to recreate the Kielbasa I remembered when I was a kid and think I did fairly good job.

For the recipe I used:
-10 lbs of beef brisket
-12.5 lbs of pork shoulder
-40mm Hog Casings
-%4 Binder (High Heat No Fat Dry Milk)
-%2 Kosher Salt
-%.25 Instacure 1
-%10 Water
-%.5 Course Black Pepper
-%.5 Fresh Minced Garlic
-%.25 Marjoram
-%.25 Mustard Seed
-%.25 Ground Calabrian Peppers
-%.25 Mace
-%.15 White pepper
-%.15 Brown Sugar

The approximate ratio of protein to fat was 60/40. I love fatty sausage, and I am not ashamed about it. All the grinding, mixing and stuffing that I did occured with the meat under 34 degrees Fahrenheit. This ensured a good pebbly grind and further ensured fat didn't smear when mixed and stuffed.

For the grind I did a course grind with the pork and a fine grind with the beef. I did this because I wanted texture and contrast in the sausage.... Which I absolutely achieved.

I did not take any pictures of the grinding, mixing or stuffing because it just looks like ground meat and a meat slurry.... Not super exciting.

After grinding and mixing I left the meat slurry in the refrigerator overnight. I typically do this to maximize myoglobin extraction and allow all the flavors to settle in before I stuffed.

The next day I stuffed the casings and hung them all to dry overnight.

View attachment 678518

In the morning I began cold smoking the sausage in batches. Each batch got 12 hours of almond wood smoke. The chamber never went over 95 degrees fahrenheit.

View attachment 678522
Batch 1

View attachment 678523
Batch 2

Once the batches were done smoking I dropped them into a bucket of ice water and let them soak for 15 minutes, after their soak I wiped them down and hung them to bloom over night.

View attachment 678524

At this point the sausages were firm so I packaged and froze the ones I wasn't going to eat.

View attachment 678527

I was curious to see the cross-section of the sausage and what the two different sizes grinds looked like. So I chopped into two before cooking.

View attachment 678528

After cooking the sausage did not breakdown and was extremely juicy.

View attachment 678530

View attachment 678531

I have since made these sausages a couple of ways.... My wife did the photography for these.

View attachment 678532
Kielbasa done Cleveland style with peppers, onions, yellow mustard and Bertman stadium mustard.

View attachment 678533
Brussel sprouts, sausage, peppers and onions.
View attachment 678534
The best damn mustard in the history of the world....

Overall I am happy with how they turned out.

Brad
Strong work! You have to have heard this if you're a Cleveland sausage maker.

Thanks buddy. The binder is really the only break from tradition. I could have done without it, but I intend to drop these sausages into a chilli I'm working on and wanted to ensure that they didn't break apart.
Sausages look awesome! Your process is sound, no fat out and great color....juicy link with a nice bind. Nice job! (Nice smoker too!
I would suggest maybe cutting the NFDM powder back to 3% as I believe that is the max. recommended without affecting the taste....unless the background flavor of milk is something you are going for in your sausage. I've never tasted Cleveland sausage so I am not familiar with the flavor you are looking to achieve.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Sausages look awesome! Your process is sound, no fat out and great color....juicy link with a nice bind. Nice job! (Nice smoker too!
I would suggest maybe cutting the NFDM powder back to 3% as I believe that is the max. recommended without affecting the taste....unless the background flavor of milk is something you are going for in your sausage. I've never tasted Cleveland sausage so I am not familiar with the flavor you are looking to achieve.
I appreciate the feedback. To be honest, the binder wasn't even necessary and can absolutely be lowered to 3 or taken out all together. I've been working on an easily repeatable formula for sausage making I basically throw at every batch I make:

-Meat / fat 70/30 or 60/40
-liquid 10%
-binder 4% (or lower if technique is sound)
-salt 2%
-main effort seasonings .5%
-supporting effort seasonings .25%
-reserve seasoning .15% (optional)
* Cure 1 if necessary for cold smoke .25%

Great work on your latest postings with charcuterie. I'm just trying to keep up with you.🧐

Brad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky