Spicy Bloody Mary Pickled Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
The other day Steve H Steve H posted a brine recipe using v8. I wondered if a Bloody Mary style brine could be made using his idea as inspiration. Here is what I came up with:

Bloody Mary Brine:

1.5c White vinegar
1c Spicy V8
2T Prepared horseradish
1.5T Celery seed
1T Worcestershire sauce
1t Salt
1t Red Pepper flakes
1t Mustard seed
1t Garlic powder
2 Bay leaves
2T Sugar
Couple of shakes of Hot sauce (I used Frank’s)

Bring all ingredients to a boil, let cool a little bit and then pour over eggs.
E5F76C2C-FD60-4B96-95A1-F6EE31007F6D.jpeg

First time making this brine. I just kind of made it up as I went along. I only did 6 eggs as a test. The brine tasted pretty good with a little bit of a kick. I’m sure the pickled eggs will be good.

I also did amish mustard eggs. I steamed 20 eggs and set 6 aside for Bloody Mary eggs.
3D184CF3-9B66-4FA0-A8CD-27D5E02D58A7.jpeg

Now we wait...

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the Bloody Mary eggs. I broke into my first batch of Amish Mustard eggs yesterday. Love them!

Sounds perfect to me. Hope it works as I love Bloody Mary's and Eggs. I think I have enough Eggs from my Chickens to make a batch of Mustard Eggs...JJ

I'm waiting, impatiently, to see the results on these! You made the recipe. But I coined the phrase!!!!! LOL. The recipe looks great. Though I don't add sugar to any of my pickling brines. I'm thinking there should be enough snap between the spices and the spicy V8 juice to get the level I'd want. That V8 juice is spicy as he!!

Looks awesome. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the Bloody Mary eggs. I broke into my first batch of Amish Mustard eggs yesterday. Love them!

I can’t wait to try them, the brine tasted pretty good so hopefully the eggs pick up some of that goodness too.

Yeah, my wife and I both prefer the mustard eggs over beet eggs. I’ve made a few batches with sliced onion and jalapeños added as well.

Mmmmm, sounds good to me.
Like!

Thanks John, just had Bloody Marys on the brain since talking to Steve...ended up drinking one too.

Sounds perfect to me. Hope it works as I love Bloody Mary's and Eggs. I think I have enough Eggs from my Chickens to make a batch of Mustard Eggs...JJ

Thanks JJ, I can’t wait to try these. If they come out good, I’ll make a full batch next time. My wife tried the brine and thought it was good and not too spicy (she doesn’t handle spice very well, although I’m building her tolerance)...even though she coughed from the hot vinegar, lol.

You can’t go wrong with the mustard eggs.

I'm waiting, impatiently, to see the results on these! You made the recipe. But I coined the phrase!!!!! LOL. The recipe looks great. Though I don't add sugar to any of my pickling brines. I'm thinking there should be enough snap between the spices and the spicy V8 juice to get the level I'd want. That V8 juice is spicy as he!!

You get full credit sir!!

I added the sugar by taste, I ended up using 2T. I find it knocks some if the sharp bite out of the vinegar and brings the other ingredients together....now I am not a sweet guy at all, I dislike sweet pickles and birthday cake BLAH!!! But I think the recipe benefits with it (The amish mustard eggs have 1 cup by comparison).

As for spiciness, I edited the recipe to show I threw a few drops of Franks into the brine, it probably made no difference, but full disclosure. The red pepper flakes are the super hot mix I use, so they’re hotter than the regular pepper flakes.

The wife thought it had spice, she’s my litmus test for spicy food...but she thought it was good and is looking forward to trying them.

It’s going to be a long week.

Update (2 weeks)
3E703BF0-C2B6-4EBE-8991-3662A1271192.jpeg

These came out pretty good. While I like the taste, they have a vinegary and savory bite...I’d be lying to you guys saying they taste like Bloody Marys. Must be the lack of booze, lol.

I did try one after a week but I could only really taste the vinegar in the brine. But after waiting an additional week, I could taste the difference in the flavors.

I can’t tell there’s V8 or anything spicy in the brine. I’ll wait another week to see if there’s any difference.

While these are good enough for me to make again, it’s just tough waiting for these, especially when the amish mustard eggs get done so much sooner.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Thanks Steve, did you make that v8 brine or a version of it yet? Curious on your thoughts.

Next batch, try 2C V8/Tomato Juice to 1/2C Vinegar. You are refrigerating anyway so all that Acid is not needed for shelf stability...JJ

Next batch, try 2C V8/Tomato Juice to 1/2C Vinegar. You are refrigerating anyway so all that Acid is not needed for shelf stability...JJ

Will do! Plus the added prepared horseradish gives it that zing too.

You know, I'm thinking a cup of that spicy vinegar and 2 cups of a bloody Mary mixer. That should add a punch. Hmm, I do believe I'm on a mission Monday.

143565.jpg

I like this stuff so much. I often just drink it straight. It is quite "bold:" as they say.

Last edited:
You know, I'm thinking a cup of that spicy vinegar and 2 cups of a bloody Mary mixer. That should add a punch. Hmm, I do believe I'm on a mission Monday.

View attachment 410947

I like this stuff so much. I often just drink it straight. It is quite "bold:" as they say.

That does sound awesome! Make it happen.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky