Kimchi time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It's been a couple years since I've made kimchi. I had a special request for some from a great friend so off we go. I will link the exact recipe amounts from my original post at the end. I'm making half as much this time. Last time I made a gallon and a half which even sharing last a long time lol. First up the Napa cabbage. Two nice sized ones cored and then cut into nice bite size pieces. Into the pan with salt. Massaged a bit and then covered with distilled water to soak for an hour or so. Before mixing everything it will be drained bed (brine reserved) ,rinsed several times and left in the strainer for about 20 minutes.
1000006846.jpg
Next time for the veggies. Daikon radish, red and green bell peppers and green onions. The green bell is extra pepper amount over my original batch. I had it and it needed used up. Also used about double the green onion again because I had it to use up.
1000006845.jpg
All cut up into small thin matchstick like bite size pieces.
1000006844.jpg
Next up is the paste which is detailed in the linked post. Essentially gochugaru flakes, fresh ginger, minced garlic, allulose (sweetener I chose) , Red Boat fish sauce and soy. I usually use tamari but was out so used soy. I also added between a quarter half teaspoon super hot pepper powder a friend had given me.
1000006842.jpg
Cabbage all rinsed and drained with the chopped veggies and paste ready to mix up.
1000006841.jpg
I mix it in with gloves on ( both to avoid burning and staining). I work it really good squeezing and kneading it for 5 minutes or so.
1000006840.jpg
Lastly into the jars , tamped down really good with my kraut tamper and then topped with a little brine as needed to cover it all. While likely not necessary I chose to top with a measured 3% sea salt / distilled water brine due to the extra add of peppers. Probably not necessary but today's brain told me to do it lol.
1000006836.jpg
Off to a cool dark cupboard in the basement. I put the two jars in a Rubbermaid container as I've done and kimchi ferments go bonkers fast. No doubt there will be run over on the full one. I'll check daily to make sure things stay under brine. Kimchi is a fast ferment and many like the flavor at 3-5 days while some prefer the funnier longer ferment. I'll taste at 3 and 5 and move to the frig for slow ferment when it's where I want it. I prefer it at about 2 weeks or so and have eaten it at 6 months I'm fridge and liked that as well. Thanks for looking. Original thread with amounts I halved for this batch here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/homemade-kimchi-time.311990/

Nice, it looks great Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like it may be a tad bit spicy! Oh it will have a zip to it no doubt. The Korean pepper flakes are fairly spicy and the extra kick I gave it will definitely be noticable. It's homemade dehydrated ghost and scorpion pepper flakes.

Jim

Holly Molly looks good.
Thanks Rick! I'm looking forward to doing some dishes with it.

Nice, it looks great Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris.

Nice . Put a squirt of that brine in your Bloody Mary .
That's a good idea , I don't drink but I'll share that idea with my buddy.

Looks great. I haven't tried making my own. Here is some that is fermented a bit longer.

I'd love to try the 130 year old soy. 1 year old kimchi is something I thought about trying when I do found a jar in the back of the fridge. I chickened out worried about safety as some wasn't submerged although it smelled great.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
For those who have never tried Kimchi before it is best to try it for the first time pan fried preferably with fried rice. It is an acquired taste but once you acquire it you will wonder how you missed out on it all your life.

I usually buy a large bottle of a good brand from a Korean market and it lasts about 6 months. It is not an every day thing for me but when you are in the mood for it you want it.

After watching jcam222 jcam222 making his own I kind of want to do the same.

Their are two more Korean sides I love. Pickled Radish (not the small red ones you find here)

Korean-radish-Salad.jpg

and Korean melons that are similar to cantaloupe but sweeter and juicier. I started 5 seeds two days ago and they grow so fast I already transferred them into small pots. I hope to have a bunch this summer.

korean_mellon.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great Jeff! I'm now out of kraut. So I might just do both soon.
Thanks Steve. I need to start some kraut next.

For those who have never tried Kimchi before it is best to try it for the first time pan fried preferably with fried rice. It is an acquired taste but once you acquire it you will wonder how you missed out on it all your life.

I usually buy a large bottle of a good brand from a Korean market and it lasts about 6 months. It is not an every day thing for me but when you are in the mood for it you want it.

After watching jcam222 jcam222 making his own I kind of want to do the same.

Their are two more Korean sides I love. Pickled Radish (not the small red ones you find here)

View attachment 694644

and Korean melons that are similar to cantaloupe but sweeter and juicier. I started 5 seeds two days ago and they grow so fast I already transferred them into small pots. I hope to have a bunch this summer.

View attachment 694645
I'm sure I'd love the picked radishes. Picked Daikon are good too. Also love picked red onion and for shawarma picked turnips.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky