Brined, Baconed and Barbequed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have no doubt it was delicious with your skills. I know you have talked about it, but go ahead and get a sous vide brah.....it will blow your mind. It was made for game meats....no joke.
Thank you.
Wow what a great looking plate! I’ve never eaten venison cooked med rare like this. I bet it is wonderful though.

Fred

One of these days I will get a sous vide machine inda my kitchen.
I've seen what y'all do with'em and the results are outstanding.
Looks delicious! Good job!
Muchos gracias!
Anyway, I can see its just awesome like the brine mix it's something like what I use for turkey. Awesome looking plate.

Warren
Thank ya, thank ya very much!
Leftovers make up the bulk of my meals! All of it looks great man. I'd love to try some venison like that. I haven't had elk or venison in quite awhile.
Thank you.
Gotta love leftovers.
I haven't had Elk in way too long, mmmm.
To me Venison is a catch'all for meats from any medium-large game.
It comes from the Latin venationem or venatio.
Wow what a great looking plate! I’ve never eaten venison cooked med rare like this. I bet it is wonderful though.

Fred
Appreciate it Fred, it is pretty good.
Medium rare is the best way to cook a lot of wild game for tenderness and flavor.

Nailed it! Everything looks pretty awesome. Got to do those potatoes again. I had couple pieces of venison left from steaks couple days ago. Cut into bites size and chicken fried. Man where they good. I may do the whole thing like that next time.
Thanks Brian!
Your plan sounds good, love some chicken fried steak.
Once again my friend, you do not disappoint. That is a fantastic looking meal and the meat is cooked to perfection. Nothing at all about that plate not to love. Roll out the red carpet....I'm headed your way for the leftovers :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Many thanks Robert, you're too kind as always.
Phenomenal . . .
Gracias muy amablemente.

Brined, Baconed and Barbequed

Smoked Venison Roasts
Pommes Fondant
Fried Squash
And an assortment of leftovers from yesterday's taco feast.

Two venison roasts wet brined in a seasoned brine for fifteen (15) hours.

Brine
1gal water
1c kosher salt
.5c seasoned salt
2T mixed peppercorns
3T dried onion
2T granulated garlic
3 bay leaves, whole dried
1T each, dried/crushed, sage, thyme, rosemary and whole celery seed
Bring all to boil for 2 minutes, stir well and then cool to room temp.

Then liberally dusted with an herb mix, wrapped in bacon and set in the smoker at 225° for one and half (1.5) hours.
After that I crank the heat up to 400° and finish to an IT of 130°-132°, carry over brought it right to 135° after a nice rest.
Sliced across the grain, this was so tender and juicy.

View attachment 678111

View attachment 678112

View attachment 678113

View attachment 678114

View attachment 678115

Pommes Fondant aka Potatoes Fondant
View attachment 678116

Fried Squash
Yellow squash sliced thick using a crinkle cutter is the way to go.
Just a little butter in the frying pan, season with whatever ya like.
Cook over med-high heat and just get some color on both sides.
Don't overcook or ya wind up with a mushy veggie.

View attachment 678117

The Money Shots

View attachment 678118

View attachment 678119

Calling @indaswamp

Looks incredible. I shot a deer weekend before last, have a couple of roasts in the freezer, gonna try your recipe.

Question: I assume the 15 hours in brine is in the fridge?

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks incredible. I shot a deer weekend before last, have a couple of roasts in the freezer, gonna try your recipe.

Question: I assume the 15 hours in brine is in the fridge?
Thanks.
Yes, brined in fridge, but a cooler of ice works too when the fridge is full.

Reactions: rbstern
Thanks.
Yes, brined in fridge, but a cooler of ice works too when the fridge is full.

Roast in the brine right now. Smoker-bound tomorrow afternoon. Have some weekend guests who are not huge fans of medium-rare, so I may let it cook to just a bit higher temp.

Thanks again for the recipe and the inspiration!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky