South Florida Spring Gathering - Apr. 28-30 W/Pics . ("You Missed It" )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mark... Not sure how much wood we will have now with Triple Q cancelling ... I will have some wood for the community fire ...

ok... So I just called to inquire about campfires.. sorry to say but the burn ban just went into affect this past Friday ... Pending if they get plenty of rain this week will it be lifted ... They will keep updates on their website during the week ... Also I asked about charcoal/wood fired smokers... no problems with them.. just no open flames ...

Last edited:
Ok wont plan on making taco seasoning. Will bring 3 doz eggs, lots of bacon and potatoes for breakfast. John will do his ribs and I'll bring sausage seasoning and cole slaw. Gene wants to know what he can bring.

Hey All

Few things came up for me and we are not going to be at the spring gathering.

Y'all have fun.

Good Morning!

Sorry to hear @nepas  :(

I had mentioned Tacos earlier in the convo as an idea to throw out there but looks like we are covered. 

@FloridaSteve  - that's a hell of a deal for EOR!

@carol506  - What is Gene's specialties? Would he/she (sorry i dont remember who Gene is) want to make a side item with to go with Saturday Lunch or Friday dinner?

Just a quick "Group Packing List" to make sure we are all on the same page:

Carol and John - Bacon, Eggs and Potatos for breakfast(s). Do y'all want me to bring some more or do you think you have it covered?

Doug (Me) - Plasticware, Paper Plates, and Cups

Firewood - Keith (some?), anyone else? I dont have alot of firewood but i'll have wood for my smoker and willing to share for other wood burners. I'll see if i can find some wood piles around my house people put out for the garbage pick up

Menu/Meals

Friday Dinner - Ham (Keith). I can pre-make some Collards at my house to reheat to go along with this meal

Breakfast(s) - John and Carol

Saturday Lunch - I'll be doing 1 or 2 stuffed pork loins

Saturday Dinner - Family Potluck and Comp Ribs (free for all of food and goodness :) )

Going off memory, If i missed anything 

Anything else up in the air?

Can't Wait to see everyone!

Cooked Cuban pork yesterday, and Brunswick stew today. It was SO hard to put them in the freezer without eating them.

Sounds good Steve... Heading to Gordons Tue. night ..

Doug.. There is a burn ban over there right now... so I don't think I'm gonna even bother to carry the wood over...

Yea... we are gonna need something to go with the ham on Friday night.. some sides for sure ...

Cooked Cuban pork yesterday, and Brunswick stew today. It was SO hard to put them in the freezer without eating them.
Sounds good Steve! What Day/Meal are you planning on cookig those up for just so we can plan accordingly? Or just whenever?
Sounds good Steve... Heading to Gordons Tue. night ..

Doug.. There is a burn ban over there right now... so I don't think I'm gonna even bother to carry the wood over...

Yea... we are gonna need something to go with the ham on Friday night.. some sides for sure ...
AH good point...boo to no fire :( We'll actually have to TALK to each other at night instead of watching the fire! Anyone like poker? Ill do Collards with the Ham
Doug I made pepper vinegar using uour tabascos I could bring for collards.
awesome! i'll make a batch of collards up!

Dougie asked...
Sounds good Steve! What Day/Meal are you planning on cookig those up for just so we can plan accordingly? Or just whenever?

Well, I was thinking Cuban pork over rice Friday evening (servingg it over rice does make it a side, doesn't it?) and the stew for Saturday evening. But, that's open to everyone's input. They both could be used for lunches. However they they can be best enjoyed.

I also picked up 10 pounds of chicken legs that I thought I could fix Thursday night. But there again, whenever for whatever meal.

Last fall I brought fixens for sides, but there were so many that I didn't even fix them. All my recipes are on my phone, so if we need sides, I'm sure there is a place nearby that has the raw materials needed

Oh yea -- Tony is bring fixings for his killer poppers to fish for Saturday. However, my Mimi is going to be full of award winning ribs, so we may be looking for a free smoker to cook them in.[emoji]128540[/emoji]

Last edited:
Well crap - I hate to join the bandwagon, but now I'm out as well.  Something came up for sunday AM and we were already going to be arriving late on Saturday.  Keith, let's stay in touch since we're so close and try to hook up for lunch or something sometime.  Hopefully the fall will be less busy and we can make it.

Have fun!!

Well, I was thinking Cuban pork over rice Friday evening (servingg it over rice does make it a side, doesn't it?) and the stew for Saturday evening. But, that's open to everyone's input. They both could be used for lunches. However they they can be best enjoyed.

I also picked up 10 pounds of chicken legs that I thought I could fix Thursday night. But there again, whenever for whatever meal.

Last fall I brought fixens for sides, but there were so many that I didn't even fix them. All my recipes are on my phone, so if we need sides, I'm sure there is a place nearby that has the raw materials needed

Oh yea -- Tony is bring fixings for his killer poppers to fish for Saturday. However, my Mimi is going to be full of award winning ribs, so we may be looking for a free smoker to cook them in.[emoji]128540[/emoji]
I think Cuban Pork along with the Ham Friday sounds good and Stew for Dinner Sat all sounds good! As for more sides...with the group getting smaller i think we might be good. 

Thursday its only you and Keith so you guys can figure out what to do about the chicken :)

Well crap - I hate to join the bandwagon, but now I'm out as well.  Something came up for sunday AM and we were already going to be arriving late on Saturday.  Keith, let's stay in touch since we're so close and try to hook up for lunch or something sometime.  Hopefully the fall will be less busy and we can make it.

Have fun!!
That's to bad :( Hope to see you at the November annual gathering!

Have fun!!

Hey Bob the Cat, both my friend Tony and I are in Bradenton, just grasshoppers' jump from Keith. Maybe we can all get together sometime this summer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky