2015 South Florida Gathering (5th Annual) November 13th-15th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another delicious dinner of ribs, ham, baked beans, corn on cob, homemade bread, broccoli salad and beer. I'm stuffed and ready for nap.

popcorn.gif

FYI, I made it home safely. The Hornet ran like a top, again, all the way home.

I want to express my gratitude for everyone there for making this newcomer feel go welcome. I had a great time I learned a LOT! You all were wonderful and I look forward to future contacts and deepening our fledgling friendships! God willing, I will be there for the 2016 gathering!

And Doug! I still owe you the contribution I pledged. I thought of it about 3/4 of the way home. I'll catch you in Lakeland in a couple of months!

Last edited:
Update...

Our buddy Tony, who broke his foot and couldn't come to the gathering, just called and said he figured I was too tired to cook tonight, so he was inviting us over for dinner. He said he had a poor butt in the smoker and it would be do on about 5:30. So, the smoking party continues for me!

Reactions: dougmays
Great weekend! My first time but certainly not my last. Thanks to everyone for making us feel so welcome, and a special thanks to Doug, Kieth, and Jeramy for all the planning and non stop cooking to make this happen. If you missed it this year, I highly recommend you try to make it next year- it's a blast!!

Reactions: dougmays
Thank you all that came and made this year an amazing year.

Thank you to our sponsors that continue to support us Jeff with the books, Lisa with bags and Todd with your maze and tube smokers.

I am spending some quality time with my better half tonight. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

I am already planning for next year.

Jeramy

Last edited:
We had a great time at the S. Fla Gathering! It was great catching up with old friends and making new friends. There were lots of new faces this year. The weather started out hot but on Friday evening cooled down. We woke to the low 60's  & a nice breeze, perfect camping weather. Seems everyone was cooking something all the time, Carol's breakfast sausage recipe was a hit. We learned how to make pork, beef & venison Jerky.

For those that didn't make it this year here a sampling of some of the good eats Ann and I had... Orlando SmoKing (Don) smoked cheeses, smoked ABTs and baked beans; Keith's maple bourbon glazed ham, breakfast sausages, Doug's smoked chicken, Coleslaw and whole smoked pig (thanks Jeremy for tasty injection-infusion); Jeremy's smoked ribs, and stuffed polenta; Dave's grilled shrimp, Rob's maple-bourbon salmon, Van's assorted nuts smoked by Keith; FlaSteve's smoked pork sandwiches hit the spot; Carol's ABTs, baked beans, breakfast sausage, oatmeal pancakes and pink lady apple pie; Charlotte's sweeten broccoli salad, fresh corn salsa dip and chips, steamed assorted veggies and to die for Oreo Cookie pie dessert, and all side dishes & desserts brought to the gathering by new friends of cornbread, really good rum cake, pies, macaroni salads, casseroles, salsa, dips, chips, and cocktails. We had so much food left over Keith rounded up at least 40 more campers to partake in the feast. They kept coming in waves of happy folks. I know there will be some new members out of that crowd.  

Thank you everyone & see you at next year's gathering!

Ann with the fresh corn

Making fresh breakfast sausage

The washer and Cornhole competition was fierce.

The pig coming out of the smoker.

Doug & Jeremy pulling the pig.

Time to feast!

The night was over.

For those asking for the bean recipe, here it is.

1 l diced bacon
1 b ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 can baked beans (I used pork and beans)
1 can Lima beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained (I used black beans)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup ketchup

Çook bacon, beef and onion until meat browned and onion tender. Drain. Mix rest of ingredients and add to meat, mix together. Recipe calls for a 2 1/2 quart baking pan and to be baked at 350 for 45 minutes covered, uncover and bak 15 minutes. Let sit to thicken. Serves 12 or more.

I used electric frying pan this time. Works well.

Thanks again for the unbelievably good food and a special time making lots of new friends.

Thanks, Carol! I can't wait to try it -- of course you know I won't use a frying pan or oven when I have a perfectly good smoker :grilling_smilie:

Wow what a great weekend and the BEST South Florida Gathering yet! Food was amazing, newcomers and alumni alike all contributed to make this event amazing! The only complaint i have is to whatever jumped up and bit my tire on the interstate :/ But was able to swap out the tire, remove the fender and limp home safe. Now time for repairs, woohoo! 

Special thanks to the ongoing support from our sponsors for their support each year! @TJohnson  with smokers and pellets! @Lisa B  with her vacuum  bags! And of course the reason for this forum and these gathering....@TulsaJeff  for this great books! You guys are always so charitable! 

I didnt get to many chances to take pictures but here are the ones i did capture. 

That's one way to haul a cow!

Thursday night's dinner....getting things started!

Blurry Carol

Keith (@JckDanls 07) always photobombing!

Don and his lunch date

As previously stated, the ring toss and cornhole gaming was fierce! 

Keith's ham smoking!

Dinner is up!

Chef Jeramy's (@jarjarchef) Prep/Cook station

The piggy getting a smoke bath. The butcher that my pig connection used removed the skin unfortunately so alot of the juices and meat in the midsection were not able to collect as i wanted. I'll make sure to be more clear on butchering next time!

My road and camping companion before....

and after! Wiped out. 

I hope everyone (new and old) come back next year! Now to start planning for next year :) Can't wait!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky