South Florida Gathering--Nov 4th thru 6th 2011

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm trying to put together the list of food and around when it will be served...that's coming shortly

A question for the group...when is everyone getting there friday/saturday?  is anyone arriving early friday? i'm pretty much out of days off from work so i was going to try to get off a little early and head up...hoping to be at the site before dark.  but if need be i could take a day off and go in the negative for the year....and if you are getting there friday night are you planning to eat before you get to camp or cooking something there?

Doug,

We'll be doing chicken for lunch, fatties and ABT's mid afternoon, ribs & seafood gumbo for dinner, choc/coconut/m&m cookies for dessert. We won't get there until Saturday morning around 8:00 AM.

Last edited:
weather doesn't look so bad according to Weather.com

9b3c8149_Screenshot2011-10-28at2.55.03PM.png

Last edited:
If any of you have extra folding tables that you can bring I think we may need some. The screen room has a bunch of chairs in it, but there are no tables.

Any college football fans attending?

Gators play Vandy and LSU plays 'Bama.

I sure do like some football with my BBQ.

TM

I will be bringing a 6' folding table for setting up our camp stove.

Suppose I could double up if necessary.

My tables are all "camp grade", so a table cloth would likely be in order for anyone who cares.

LMK

Last edited:
OK.. getting down to crunch time.. the wife was asking me what we are doing for sides and such or Is It gonna be just all meat. Doug If you could finish up that Menu list for each day (page 6). I know my wife, Charlotte, will be doing baked beans for the "what ever" dish so we'll at least have those for Sat. nights dinner. I think I am gonna do my Maple Bourban Ham on friday. I'm looking to get there around 11 am or so on Fri. Since I am doing chickens (2) and ribs (2) for the comps. I won't have room to do the ham on Sat. I remember somebody saying something about making breakfast one day. Maybe that should be on Sunday and then pack up for the ride home ?

Hey guys....putting menu up now (eta 10 mins)...sorry for the delay.

Any college football fans attending?

Gators play Vandy and LSU plays 'Bama.

I sure do like some football with my BBQ.

TM

I will be bringing a 6' folding table for setting up our camp stove.

Suppose I could double up if necessary.

My tables are all "camp grade", so a table cloth would likely be in order for anyone who cares.

LMK
Turnip...big Gator fan here!  i was wondering the same thing, wonder if the cabin has a tv?

Rubbin Butts....no problem on the additional people coming to the group site. But i need to put together a Roster for the group site. Ruthy from the campground called me yesterday a little confused and needed clarification on how i wanted to pay for the group site because someone called individually to add themselves to the list. 

So for everyone staying at the group site or have friends staying there. Please do not call the camp ground and say your staying there.  Please post on here or private message me the individual names of everyone staying at the group site.  I do not know if this inlcudes kids names or not so either please give me the names of kids or just a number of kids.

i have to call her tomorrow to confirm the final list of people staying at the group site. So Rubbin Butts can you tell me the names of your guests? i'm going to put the whole group site on my card and i can let people know what they owe once i get the final amount.

Hello Everyone,

Alrighty i did my first draft (wild @$$ guess ) at a menu....if this doesn't fit into your plan or if i have gotten something wrong or forgotten something please feel free to tell me and i'll fix it.  There are alot of threads here and i combed through them quickly to find what people wanted to make but i can certainly have over looked something.

essentially lunch saturday is the chicken comp and dinner is the rib and SS comp.  Some of you mentioned making more then one thing, i was not sure if both of those were for the SS comp or if some items were just a "whenever" meal/snack.  so on page 6 i have the draft of the menu and also updated the SS comp roster.  again please let me know if i got something wrong or left something out or if anything needs to change.

James you mention making burgers, dogs and corn....since saturday is a pretty meal intensive day i'm thinking that could be a sunday lunch thing for those who do not leave early sunday to head home.....does this sound ok? i'm not sure if you were planning to stay around later on sunday. 

Rubbin Butts since you are doing waffels on saturday for breakfast i figured i could help out with a bunch of scrambled eggs.

Sunday Breakfast...right now there is nothing planned...i wanted to smoke some chickens but wasn't planning to do the chicken competition...i could smoke them sometime on saturday and chop the meat up for a breakfast item on sunday...anyone have any ideas of a breakfast item with a bunch of chopped chicken meat? anyone wanna co-op on a breakfast item sunday morning with me?

it's all coming together folks! But i could certainly use any help/advice on getting the last fine details together...feel free to shoot out suggestions or comments on anything here. i'm excited to see you all next weekend. lets all hope the weather is nice!

Al - Since you leave close...do you know if there is a place nearby that we can buy more ice if needed since most of us will be living out of coolers all weekend?  Do know if they sell ice at the campground?

Arrival times ? can we get y'all to chime in on when you'll be arriveing as to whether or not we need to get something cooked up for dinner on Friday not. Or are we just gonna fend for ourselves for the first night ?

Doug, maybe some kind of "Chicken Breakfast Burritos" for Sunday ? some home fries, onions, eggs, chicken all mixed together with cheese melted on top, put into some tortillas ? just a thought.

Arrival times ? can we get y'all to chime in on when you'll be arriveing as to whether or not we need to get something cooked up for dinner on Friday not. Or are we just gonna fend for ourselves for the first night ?
Doug, maybe some kind of "Chicken Breakfast Burritos" for Sunday ? some home fries, onions, eggs, chicken all mixed together with cheese melted on top, put into some tortillas ? just a thought.

that sounds amazing..i'm game if i can get some help cooking it. i was going to bring 4-5 chickens, smoke 'em and chop up the meat.

I live in fort lauderdale and plan to get out of work a little early, so hopefully i'll be on the road by 5pm at the lastest.  According to google i have a 2 hour drive so hoping to be there by 7pm and before dark :)  i'd love to try that maple bourbon ham!

Al - Since you leave close...do you know if there is a place nearby that we can buy more ice if needed since most of us will be living out of coolers all weekend?  Do know if they sell ice at the campground?

Yes they have a camp store that sells just about anything you may need.

Hello Everyone,

Alrighty i did my first draft (wild @$$ guess ) at a menu....if this doesn't fit into your plan or if i have gotten something wrong or forgotten something please feel free to tell me and i'll fix it.  There are alot of threads here and i combed through them quickly to find what people wanted to make but i can certainly have over looked something.

essentially lunch saturday is the chicken comp and dinner is the rib and SS comp.  Some of you mentioned making more then one thing, i was not sure if both of those were for the SS comp or if some items were just a "whenever" meal/snack.  so on page 6 i have the draft of the menu and also updated the SS comp roster.  again please let me know if i got something wrong or left something out or if anything needs to change.

James you mention making burgers, dogs and corn....since saturday is a pretty meal intensive day i'm thinking that could be a sunday lunch thing for those who do not leave early sunday to head home.....does this sound ok? i'm not sure if you were planning to stay around later on sunday. 

Rubbin Butts since you are doing waffels on saturday for breakfast i figured i could help out with a bunch of scrambled eggs.

Sunday Breakfast...right now there is nothing planned...i wanted to smoke some chickens but wasn't planning to do the chicken competition...i could smoke them sometime on saturday and chop the meat up for a breakfast item on sunday...anyone have any ideas of a breakfast item with a bunch of chopped chicken meat? anyone wanna co-op on a breakfast item sunday morning with me?

it's all coming together folks! But i could certainly use any help/advice on getting the last fine details together...feel free to shoot out suggestions or comments on anything here. i'm excited to see you all next weekend. lets all hope the weather is nice!
Doug, I will have 2 at the group site, names are Brian & Tanya Buchner.

I will also have 2- 6' tables and 1- 4' round table, will use one at my cooker for prep.

For saturday breakfast Eggs will be great to go with the waffles but we need someone to do sausage and bacon. I'll be bringing 2 waffle irons that turn out waffles quick for a large group.

You might want to ask everyone to bring a covered dish for the meals to go with the meat. One covered dish for the weekend per group should be plenty. And if everyone can't, we should still have enough.

On our group outings( usually 25 to 30 people) that is the way we normally do it and it works out great.

We expect to arrive about 2PM on Friday and will leave about 10AM Sunday. On Friday we are ok with fending for ourselves, probably just burgers or dogs on the grill.

Thanks for butch and tanya's names, ill add that to the list. 

Also for people staying at the group site, Fishing Eating Creek is also asking for driver's lic # and tag numbers for members staying at the site.  if you are willing to give up that info online please message me with it, if not i completely understand and i'm sure you can give it to her when you arrive.

as for covered dishes...we said from the beginning that there wouldn't necessarily be "organized meals"...so it was kinda just a whatever is available to eat, we snack on. are we still going by this idea or do we want to better organize meals?

Thanks for butch and tanya's names, ill add that to the list. 

Also for people staying at the group site, Fishing Eating Creek is also asking for driver's lic # and tag numbers for members staying at the site.  if you are willing to give up that info online please message me with it, if not i completely understand and i'm sure you can give it to her when you arrive.

as for covered dishes...we said from the beginning that there wouldn't necessarily be "organized meals"...so it was kinda just a whatever is available to eat, we snack on. are we still going by this idea or do we want to better organize meals?
Anything is fine with us, besides, if I'm cooking I'm eating

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky