South Florida Gathering--Nov 4th thru 6th 2011

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Howdy all, SmokinAl and myself were talking about the potential of a South Florida gathering similar to what the N.FLA folks have. Nothing crazy but just a chance for all of us to meet up, smoke some food, drinks some beers and shoot the shit

Al is in Sebring and i'm in Fort Lauderdale. So i'm thinking this can be a gathering of anyone around Lake Okeechobee and south. Who would be interested in this?

We'll probably aim for sometime in the fall when the weather is not so hot and gives us ample time to plan. If you are interested in this please post up here so we can keep track and if anyone has any suggestions for a large area of land, campground, or anything else

One place we thought of is C.B Smith Park in Pembroke Pines

Last edited:
I think there are quite a few of us in the South/Central FL area. Maybe we could even get some of the N. FL guys to come down here too. It doesn't have to be an extravaganza, maybe just a few small smokers or 1 big one, everybody bring a dish to share & we'll just smoke some ribs & chicken etc. Like Doug say's were looking for suggestions & anyone interested in attending. It would be great to meet as many of you as possible and it would be a relatively short drive for most of us. We were thinking maybe a 2 day affair on a Sat. & Sun. 

Since we haven't got any responses I'm just bumping this back up. There must be more guys down here other than Doug & I.

You Floridians Sure Gather a Lot...
biggrin.gif

from the looks of it not in south florida! haha.  Come on there really no other south fla guys on here?

sounds good to me! haha.  i'm sure if i mention BBQ to a few friends down here they wouldn't hesitate to come either

Doug ,

keep pluggin at it.

The first fla .gathering had i think 10 people. This year they are expecting 75 - 100.

The first gathering we had here in Louisiana last october  had 10 - 12 and we hope to have more this fall.

There is alot of work , time and money that goes into hosting a gathering.

IMHO ,the best way to get started is w/ just a few local folks  at a place that you think that you can grow into.

And try to attend one of the larger gatherings to see how things are done and how you have to prep an schedule things.

Al, what do you think about somewhere in West Palm, that might appeal more to northern folk

maybe jonathon dickinson park?

That sounds like a good idea Doug. I was hoping to have a few more guys chime in. There must be one of us from the WPB area. I think it would be a good idea to keep close to the interstate as well. It's hard to get up here quickly. If we kept the site off 95 or the turnpike it may attract a few more guys. Sebring is in the middle of nowhere. I think you are on the right track, finding a site first then we can go from there.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well it sounds like a pretty good idea to me to fellows. I'm not sure how many folks are that far south thou?? So what dates are you folks thinking about ?? You also have to think of the weather some folks don't like the Fla heat like we are all used to. So let me know and we will have to see what happens. Heck I always look for a reason to smoke or just meet some good ole boys and girls from SMF.

We were thinking next fall when it cools down some. I think November would be good, but it would have to be early Nov. so as not to interfere with TG Day. Everything is still in the early planning stage, any ideas would be much appreciated. We are still looking for the right place to have it. Once we figure that out I think next we would set a date.

Newb Here, joined yesterday.

I'm in Manatee and DeSoto counties, kinda too far west for you east coasters.

How about something more central, Lake Placid, Okeechobee?

TM

Turnip can you recommend any places around Okeechobee or LP that where we could set up?  Like Al said, we are just in the planning stages and open for suggestions.  Oct-Nov is the ideal time.

Mballi would love to have you down from JVille

Sebring is just North of Lake Placid. There is a lot of open space around here & some good parks. Were right on US 27. If you think this would be a good place I can check out some of the parks around here. I just don't know of any that have campgrounds associated with them. Do you Turnip. Mark knows this area too, maybe he has an idea.

i'm wondering if al's suggestion of staying close to I-95 would be more ideal for people traveling from a longer distance.  are there any parks up there but due east of you guys near 95?

indiantown would be a nice location...close to 95 and 27!  i dont know the area that well or the campground but if you could find out that'd be great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky