Smoking a pre-smoked spiral-cut ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raselkirk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Port Neches, TX
Hi all,

I did this last year and the men-folk liked it, the outer layers came out kinda like jerky. I want to do this again but with more appeal for the ladies. I thought about binding it with twine to keep the layers from separating and drying out. Anyone having tips, please respond.

Thanks!

Russ

Baste it with some Cajun butter during the smoke. I guarantee you won't come out with jerky

Maybe butchers twine would help keep it pretty? Healthy dose of glaze towards the end would keep it pretty.

Toothpicks work well. I have put it "face" down too and it holds together. But honestly just toss it on and let it warm!

Hi all,

I did this last year and the men-folk liked it, the outer layers came out kinda like jerky. I want to do this again but with more appeal for the ladies. I thought about binding it with twine to keep the layers from separating and drying out. Anyone having tips, please respond.

Thanks!

Russ

Since a Spiral-Sliced Ham comes without any Fat, I like to put Bacon in a Pan, with holes, above the ham, so it can continuously Baste itself the whole time it's Smoking:

Like So:
Double Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham

Bear

I have to soak our hams to reduce the sodium for my wife so I no longer buy spiral cut hams because they water log. It seems spiral cut is also not the best for a double smoke because they dry out. I just go whole ham and slice it at the table or before plating.

Spritzing with Apple Cider helps to keep them moist. 99% of the time, a Boneless Ham is what we make. Easy to prepare, in many ways, always juicy heated to 140-145°F and no bone to store and mess with...JJ

My family loves it when I smoke these.
It is very hard to mess up, so I usually recommend it to my friends that are new to smoking.

I often inject the ham with a mix of butter, apple juice and spices.
But, I don't know that it is required. I haven't had the issue with the ham drying out. The end slice often toughens up, but in my house we "fight" over who gets that end piece.

My families favorite glaze is to mix your favorite BBQ sauce 50:50 with root beer.

Smoke at 220 for a couple hours.
Increase temp to 350 if your smoker will do it.
Glaze multiple light coatings to finish.

I follow Bearcarver Bearcarver 's trick with the bacon in a pan above the ham. Never any complaints. After taking one to work for a pot luck, I'm now doing them on the regular for the folks I work with. Just did 6 for folks thanksgiving meals.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky