Smokin' a Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mls

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I just bought a 10 lb 1/2 ham that is spiral cut and it says fully cooked and hickory smoked on the label. I want to fix it on my 36" vertical GOSM. Any tips will be appreciated. What temp, how long and should I leave the net wrap on it since it is already sliced to hold it together. Do I need to put a rub on it like I do the ribs and should I spray it with apple juice while cooking. I' a new smoker and have done ribs and a turkey which turned out great but this is the first time to try a ham so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Mike S.

It should be pretty simple, Just set up your smoker to about 225 and do whatever you want to it and smoke it to temp, as it's already pre cooked, you're just warming it up and adding flavor.

Hi Mike -

That ham is already smoked and cooked I believe. We usually buy fresh ham for the smoker not cooked ones, but seeing how you alread got it ya gotta eat it right?

If the netting is not plastic you better leave it on or you'll have slices spewing all over the place like a porcupine on crack. Also being it's already cooked you don't need to worry about smoking low and slow all you can do is heat it up and maybe add a bit more smoke to it so I'd crank that baby up to around 300°F spray it with a bit of apple or pineapple juice maybe even add a touch of brown sugar near the end.

I'd do it in the oven and save my fuel. Next time buy a fresh ham and we'll show you how to do it up right!

Thanks a lot. That shows how much I DON"T know about smokin but this forum is a great place to learn. I'll probably have mama fix this one in the oven and try a 'fresh' one next time. What are the tricks or where is a good thread for fixin' a fresh ham and I assume it shouldn't be already sliced. Thanks.

Mike S.

Mls, I think you should be okay removing the netting, spiral sliced hams are usually cut around the bone leaving the meat somewhat attached,
Those hams are generally fully cooked therefore as Debi stated you really just need to heat the ham up in the smoker,which should add a little more flavour on the outside ,the meat won't absorb anymore smoke as it is already cooked.
I personally like to glaze hams the last 45 min or so with a mixture of yellow mustard , maple syrup and brown sugar, or some crushed pineapple and honey, whatever you choose to do all should work out well ,hope this is of some help , Tim.

I did a spiral sliced ham a few weeks ago. I cut the netting off and put it in a bakeing dish. I poured some REAL maple syrup over it after a good dose of Jeff's rub had sat on it for 24 hrs. I smoked it at 225 for about 3 hrs, it was wonderful! It was a pre cooked ham. Terry

If nothing else, you'll impress friends when you take it out. I wouldn't rub or do much, other then add moisture to it. As for the netting, you can remove it if you place it in a pan. You really cant lift it out with prongs or tongs, and if you have a pan, you can add a little pineapple or apple juice to the pan when you start to keep moisture intact.

Good luck and enjoy.

I don't know, I've had no luck around here
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

An uncooked ham is hard to find. Possibly some meat processors might have one. Stores like Wal-Mart and Publix, even WD do not carry them much if at all. We have a little chain called Hitchcocks and Food Ranch. They carry them quite abit. Otherwise talk to some of your hunting buddies and see where they take their hogs to get processed.

I would not doubt you could taste some smoke flavor, probably more from the pre-cooked process, not so much thru your smoking. Maybe the surface smoke some though. A commerically processed pre-cooked ham has already been cook to 140*, so pores are already closed and more smoke acceptence would be minimal at best.

Fully Cooked Ham - A ham that has been thoroughly heated during some part of the processing to a temperature exceeding 147° F, making it ready to eat without further cooking. These hams are found labeled "Fully Cooked," "Ready to Eat," or "Heat and Serve." They may be eaten right out of the package or they can be warmed to an internal temperature of 140° F to provide a richer flavor. More like 120 in my opinion to keep them from drying out.

Pre-Cooked Ham - A ham that has been heated during some part of the processing to an internal temperature exceeding 137°F but less than 148° F. Most commercially processed hams are heated to a temperature of 140° F. Temperatures reaching 137° F will kill the trichina parasite. A partially cooked ham still requires additional cooking prior to eating. It must be heated to an internal temperature of 160° F. More like 140 in my opinion.

Uncooked Ham - A ham that had not reached an internal temperature exceeding 137° F during processing. Uncooked hams are generally dry-cured hams, although dry-cured hams are also available fully cooked. An uncooked ham requires more preparation time and cooking time than a partially or fully cooked ham.
A Fresh Picnic Ham is a raw ham. When smoking, curing is not needed. Shoot for 175 to 180* internal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky