Smoked Wings fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mmckinney331

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Last night I smoked some wings for about two hours and then tossed them on the grill for a few minutes.

Can someone tell me why the skin was rubber but the meat inside was perfect?

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
What temp did you smoke at, I usually smoke them at 200 or so for about an hour then crank it up to 375-400 until they're crisp. If your going to throw them on the grill make sure its good and hot to get them crisp.

I gave up trying to smoke Wings a long time ago for that reason. I know some people have success finishing at high temp, but I’m pure kettle grill for wings now. Besides, some meats are at their best when purely grilled!

I gave up trying to smoke Wings a long time ago for that reason. I know some people have success finishing at high temp, but I’m pure kettle grill for wings now. Besides, some meats are at their best when purely grilled!
Jed, you vortex the wings correct? That is still kind of smoking if you chuck a hunk of wood in there?

I've only smoked wings 5 or 6 timed, but I've gotten crispy skin every time using baking powder. I smoke them at around 300 degrees and never have to hit them with high heat.

I use about a tablespoon per dozen wings and just mix it in as part of my rub.

Jed, you vortex the wings correct? That is still kind of smoking if you chuck a hunk of wood in there?
Yes, I always Vortex. I sometimes put a chunk on, so there is some smoke flavor. I guess I was thinking more low temps. When I first got a MES I tried wings on it a lot of different ways, but we were never satisfied, a few months later I got the Vortex and we never looked back! That was about 6 years ago!

I feel your pain. I really like wings, but didn't like smoked wings for the reason you mention above. But, good smoked wings are definitely possible.

Note: I like saucy wings. I haven't tried eating these without saucing them.

When I smoke them, I use a flour based rub to help dry the skin. I usually do 5 lbs wings at a time.

1 cup flour
3 TBS baking powder
1 TBS paprika
1 TBS kosher salt
1 TBS garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
Mix all together

Toss wings in a bag with the above rub/dust.

I have a Rectec 700, but should be similar for others too.
Smoke at 200 degrees for 2 hours.
(make homemade BBQ sauce here, prepare to brush on wings)
Remove from smoker
Increase heat to 400-450
Return wings to smoker for 10-15 minutes to crisp skin.
Then brush on sauce with wings still on grill, flipping wings a few times to set the sauce.

I typically prepare the wings the same way and have done a few different sauces. Honey Garlic, Fire and Ice, BBQ, Buffalo......The wings always disappear quickly.

Reactions: mmckinney331
I am planning to do wings this weekend. Has anyone tried to do like 1.5 hours on the offset and then put them on the gas grill at 375-400 to crisp up the skin? I am cooking pulled pork on the offset and had hoped to do some wings as a halfway snack and didn't want to crank the heat.

Your plan will definitely work, what temps are you going to run your offset an hour and a half might be a little long

I was thinking 250. I mean, I can certainly drop the time. I plan on doing them in the middle of the pulled pork run so I can keep an eye on them and pull when I feel like they are ready.

Reactions: smokerjim
I've tried the low method, then cranking them up to 350. The problem I had with that method is, to prevent them from drying out, you can't really get as much smoke on them as I'd like. You seem to have to end the low temp smoking time period too soon.

I also tried the low smoke method until almost completely done, then transfer to my grill at high temps. That definitely works better, IMO. But then the process gets a bit more complicated.

I recently tried the baking powder method, and liked it quite a bit! It allows maximum time at low temps, thus more smoke flavor.

I've tried the low method, then cranking them up to 350. The problem I had with that method is, to prevent them from drying out, you can't really get as much smoke on them as I'd like. You seem to have to end the low temp smoking time period too soon.

I also tried the low smoke method until almost completely done, then transfer to my grill at high temps. That definitely works better, IMO. But then the process gets a bit more complicated.

I recently tried the baking powder method, and liked it quite a bit! It allows maximum time at low temps, thus more smoke flavor.
have you tried adding an additional smoke tube to be used along with the smoke you are giving them during your low method?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky